1911Forum banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
IMHO the groups I see can not be fixed by aiming more carefully, they can only be improved by concentrating on the trigger squeeze and sight alignment.

Trust the basics, do not try to time the trigger press when everything is aligned. Try to keep the sights aligned and squeeze the trigger. The target has a very low priority.

I think that there is less variation on handgun instruction for precision shooting over here.

We teach aligning the front sight in the rear sight and to squeeze the trigger very slowly. The alignment with the target is secondary! The error you get with a slightly bad trigger squeeze is twice as big as bad sight alignment which in turn is twice as bad as not being aligned with the target.

Shoot five shot strings and rest at least 20 seconds between the shots. Wait a few minutes between the strings.

The same basics can be used down to about a second between shots after mastering it at slow speed with that weapon. Below 1s I squeeze the trigger at the right pace and try to align the sights and target as good as i can in the given time. Below 0.5s other techniques are needed, I have noticed that I can't practice those without performing worse at the medium speed shooting.
@Falt I agree with you 100%.....my cornerstone issue is trigger control. That is what I feel is paramount in shooting a pistol, concentrating on trigger press. @Ranger4 is invariably right also. The rear sights probably do need miniscule drift to the right. I do worry about aiming a bit too much and lose my focus on trigger manipulation. I'm only 6-700 rounds in, 3 months into shooting after a 25 year sabbatical, thus I'm trying to relearn a perishable skill. And perhaps the Blazer Aluminum is not the most accurate load in the world.......regardless, its what I can afford, a box a week. I'm going back out today and work on trigger press. Aligning the sights is far less difficult than pulling the trigger properly.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
There are basics of shooting tight groups. These involve stance, hold (grip), sighting with both eyes open and focusing on the front sight, knowing your sight picture, breathing, trigger pull (not jerking), timing and muscle control. Search these out on the internet and keep reviewing them and practicing with dry firing. When shooting live ammo go slowly and at close range - 15 to 25 feet. As you’re getting ready to shoot review the basics over and over. This will develop a muscle-memory pattern. As you see progress move the target out - 1 to 3 feet at a time. Soon you’ll be able to shoot more quickly and work on double taps. It’ll take time - in fact a lifetime. I’ve been doing it 45 years and still working on it and still reviewing the basics. And - oh - and have fun doing it!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
As others have said, this isn't that bad for 15 yards, especially if you're just getting back into practice (actually pretty good in that case). Pretty sure that bad guy isn't getting back up.

Rock on and enjoy yourself - that's what it's all about, right?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
@Ranger4......I started today out poorly, plagued with the "flinchies" which threw several shots low left, but as I settled in, I did a bit better. A couple of those shots are outside the picture(I wanted you to see, close-up, how I was grouping once I pulled myself together). Nonetheless, not my best day, but when I concentrated solely on trigger press I was much more accurate. If I worry about my slight wobble I am all over the place. Anyway, would like your input as you've been on this journey with me since the start! Thanks in advance.

Brian R.
Window Art Wall Tints and shades Wood

·
Registered
11 Posts
Breathe, Relax, Aim, Slow, Steady-squeeze.
I know that spells Brasss but no one wanted to question the Drill Instructor's grammar.
That's all I know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys! I feel a bit better now.........I'm 47 in December, eyesight is less than stellar(I have stigmatisms and need glasses to see at long distances, and I was using Blazer Aluminum and Federal white box FMJ 230 grain, in reply to the last poster.

51 here, and yeah. Same premise. I see the sights perfect! But the target is blurry.

When firing at say, 3 rds/sec - if you can hold a 8" or even a 10" circle at 15 yards, you will be stopping a bad guy. Yes, tighter is better (or so she said) but with practice you'll be fine. When you have andrenalin pumping that group is going to open up.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts