1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that I am very frustrated. I have several Glocks and HKs, as well as a SIG, that never have given me a problem of any kind, even after more than 10,000 rounds collectively. However, I buy one 1911 -- a Wilson CQB -- and I can't get the thing to go through one range session without problems. (See previous thread for my latest problem.)
And I bought this for a self-defense weapon. Sure, not in this lifetime.
I am beginning to believe all the bad press that 1911s get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I share the same frustration with you although my problem is with Ed Brown that I acquired recently.
After shooting 500 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ, a thin plate around the guide rod head touching the barrel link chipped and brole in half. Before this happend, I had a consistant FTF problem that every second rounds in the mags were hitting the feed ramp at an ackward angle causing jams.
I e-mailed Ed Brown and was told that they will send me a new guide rod assembly but without any explanation or an apology.
I live in Guam where sending back gun for a repair or buying parts locally is not as easy as living in the mainland. As a temporary measure, I replaced the parts with my Colt 1991 but FTF still continues.

I had an impression that guns, specially custom guns like Ed Brown were test fired before the shipment. Guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Most, maybe 99 %, of jams are caused by either poor magazines or using heavy recoil springs and shok-buffs. I run 16 lb. recoil springs, NO shok-buffs, and different types of magazines and followers with NO problems! Be patient. A 1911 is easy to diagnose and very reliable once you understand them. Poor ammo can be a problem, also, although Winchester has always been favorite of mine. Plus, you can completely strip one with no extra tools required. Down to the last pin and spring! 1911's have gotten a bad rap because so many "experts" want to improve on John Browning's original. Check the SIG forum, if you think that they don't have problems. One guy's takedown lever just broke! Slide was sent down-range by the recoil spring. It was a 220.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts