1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new Stainless II to the range recently and had a huge problem with the gun failing to extract the spent casings from the chamber (the casings stay ~3/4 of the way in the chamber). It does have an EXTERNAL Extractor. The problem appeared to be worst with CCI Blazer Brass 235 grain FMJ ammo (FTE almost every round), but also had problems with Winchester silvertips 185 gr. The problem was not as bad with Federal American Eagle 235 gr FMJ ammo (very few FTE). I only have about 200 rounds through the gun. Is there any chance this will clear up after the "500 round break-in period"? :rolleyes: I hope so because it will cost me $90 to ship it back to Kimber for repairs. :bawling: Any advice would be appreciated. Wade.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Does anyone know how good Blazer Brass is, actually?

wade_s said:
It does have an EXTERNAL Extractor. The problem appeared to be worst with CCI Blazer Brass 235 grain FMJ ammo (FTE almost every round), but also had problems with Winchester silvertips 185 gr. The problem was not as bad with Federal American Eagle 235 gr FMJ ammo (very few FTE).
On the stuff that doesn't eject, is there an extractor mark on the case? If there is, (a ding or scuff) your chamber may be a lil' tight, or your origin of rifling may be also. The 500 round deal may work for you yet. I haven't tried Blazer brass (although it is tempting). Maybe someone will respond to my subject line.
Bon Chance.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've shot Blazer Brass through my Grand Raptor II with no failures to extract at all. Probably have 1000 rounds or so down the barrel now and except for a few FTF at the beginning, it has been flawless.
I'm not sure if the break-in period will help the FTE condition. It may if the chamber is a little too tight but it won't if the extractor is defective.
Guess I'd contact Kimber and see if they will send you a new extractor. It would be a lot cheaper than sending the gun to them and that may be all it needs anyway.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Did you clean and lube the gun before you shot it?
BTW, it should only cost about half of 90 bucks to ship it overnight insured from Texas to NY by FedEx.
If it's an extractor problem, Kimber will send you a different one that you can replace yourself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stillwater there does appear to be extractor marks on the casings that FTE. I cannot tell a difference in them and the ones that extracted normally. Thanks. Wade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kruzer, I cleaned and lubed the gun per the instructions in the owners mannual before shooting. I even used Shooter's Choice FP-10 lube. I will have to check with Fed ex. UPS quoted me the $90.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
wade, my advice (take it or leave it), is to clean the gun again. Use a bore brush (bronze or copper, not steel) to clean the chamber well. If you have a solvent (like Hoppe's #9 or m-pro7 or some other) rather than a CLP, try that for the chamber. Lube the gun where the manual says but use BIG drops on the slide and rails (I prefer a thin bead down the length.)

Shoot 200 rounds more of American Eagle. Keep track of the number of FTE's and each time, put the brass from the FTE's aside.

If it persists, then a call to Kimber is certainly in order. Describe the problem and the brass.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
wade_s

I think you have gotten some pretty good advice so far. Do continue to shoot and do separate any cases that failed to extract from those that worked normally. If you want to separating the FTE cases by brand may help sort out if this is an ammo issue.

Here are a couple of things to look into.

1. The next time you clean your pistol look at the barrel chamber. Is is smooth inside or is it rough, or are there tooling marks inside. If rough, or there are marks, look at the FTE brass to see if the texture or marks are also visible in the brass. Though do not get too excited if the brass shows a little bit of wear from the chamber as this is normal, we are looking big marks. If possible get a pin, needle or a drift that has a sharp point and trace it into the chamber. Does the point catch on anything in the chamber wall? The reason I mention this is, one of the ways manufacturers, including Remington and CCI, make there bargain FMJ ammo affordable is to make the brass very thin. Which when under pressure may conform to the chamber wall, if the brass is a bit soft as well as thin it might take an impression of the chamber surface finish. If this is happening then the chamber will probably only need to be polished, and a local smith should be able to do this for about $20.

2. If possible measure the case mouth of the FTE brass and compare it to brass that ejected properly. They both should be the same size. If the FTE brass is bigger in diameter at the case mouth than the brass that ejected properly, have your barrel checked out by a gunsmith. It may be that the chamber is slightly belled, bigger in diameter at the case mouth than at the breech, and thinner/softer brass is expanding into this bigger area under pressure and then the extractor can't pull it out. In this case you should return your pistol to Kimber to have them fit a new barrel.

Keep in mind that both of the above are extreme and therefore not very likely. Though Kimber does think that there as machined surfaces in thier barrels are good enough (sometimes they are not), and Kimber in the past has had issues with their barrel chambers being out of round, so they are not unheard of either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Everyone for all of the information and advice! I will take the gun to the range again in a couple of weeks and shoot only the Federal American Eagle ammo and see what happens. The chamber looks nice and smooth to me. Thanks again! Wade.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
wade_s

I just remembered another, even more basic, thing for you to try if you have extraction issues during any future range session. If you have a few failures to extract, remove the slide from the frame and wipe off any oil on the frame and slide rails then reassemble and try shooting again. I have seen a couple of cases where too much oil on the slide and frame rails acted like a shock absorber and prevented the slide from extracting or properly ejecting an empty case.

Kruzr's suggestion of a thin bead down the length is pretty good. Another method is to wet a Q-tip and run the wet end down the length of the frame and slide rails. Remember if the oil runs, drips, or pools, you have too much.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Wade --

Look all too familar?

It's NOT:

1. Cleaning and lubrication.
2. Break in.
3. Your grip.
4. Your ammunition.

It IS:

1. Defective extractor DESIGN.

Only solution is a NEW EXTRACTOR.

Do not go to the expense of sending the pistol to Kimber. Contact them and get the newest design extractor. My pistol made two trips to Kimber and came back just as bad both times. Two additional replacement extractors, each of newer design cured the problem after nine (9) months. Go for the new extractor.

After going thru 3 or 4 generations of the Kimber external extractor, and although the final version did cure the problem, I made a bold decision on extractor design. My final extractor solution:

Good luck!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Extractors:

I must be the lucky one. I own two other Kimbers both with internal extractors and was worried about buying a new one. But yesterday I purchased a new Tactical Pro II with the external extractor. I just returned from the sticks (we have no range) where I shot two boxes of Winchester 230 gr. hollow points. The functioning was flawless, no failures of any kind. Hopefully it will stay this way. Good luck. TedZ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chuck, that is my problem exactly. I put almost 50 ruonds through the gun with that staring back at me every to every other round. Then I just decided to quit shooting for the day. Thanks for the pics! Wade.

·
Registered
754 Posts
wade_s said:
Kruzer, I cleaned and lubed the gun per the instructions in the owners mannual before shooting. I even used Shooter's Choice FP-10 lube. I will have to check with Fed ex. UPS quoted me the $90.
Under no circumstances should you have to foot the bill for a return repair under warranty. If you choose as advised request a replacement extractor to replace yours.

Should you decide to return it, do so through the dealer you bought it from who I presume is a Kimber dealer. He'll take care of it for you.

RC

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Stinger1 said:
Under no circumstances should you have to foot the bill for a return repair under warranty.

Should you decide to return it, do so through the dealer you bought it from who I presume is a Kimber dealer. He'll take care of it for you.

RC

Kimbers warranty , like most companies, does not cover return shipping. If your dealer will take care of it good for you, but I wouldn't count on it.

I would call Dennis at Kimber and ask for a new extractor.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
That's how it works. Dealer shipping the pistol back would be bonus, but don't count on it. Most dealers sell these "as is" with no warranty from them.

Since local dealers see no reason to offer after-sales support I rarely use them and order my pistols off the web thru a FFL who just receives them for me.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
wade, very few full size pistols have shown the extractor problem. Your type of failures can be caused by a lot of different reasons. Try the American Eagle for more rounds and keep the gun lubed well. If it still has the problem, then it's time to call for a new extractor. Since it isn't consistently doing it with all ammo, it could be something else. Find out before you start guessing at fixes or you will be at it a long time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Common problem with the extractor. You can check your brass too, you may be able to see where the extractor scrapes over the rim. I concur with calling Dennis and having him send you another extractor. You will have one on hand to try ASAP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
your problems sounds like mine....

My gun (pro carry II s/s) has been was sent back to the factory over a month ago. I was fortunate enough to have my dealer handle it for me.

I called my dealer over a week ago and he had not heard anything so I dug out Dennis's email off this board and emailed him for a status of my gun. I got a response from Ann the next day saying the repairs appear to have been completed and they will be sending my gun out shortly. That email was received last tuesday.

I still don't have my gun yet but I will contact my dealer next week if I have not heard from him.

It is VERY frustrating. I paid almost $800 for a NEW gun that IS VERY ACCURATE but will not extract. I keep hoping there will be a happy ending to this story, but I am still walking on eggshells around dealer/kimber b/c I from all the posts I read there is a decent chance I may get my gun back without the problem solved.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts