1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield Ultra Compact (PX9161L), and while at the range today, I had at least 8 failures to eject out of 100 rounds fired through it (230 gr. UMC). The gun has about 500 rounds through it, and prior to today has only had 2 FTE's.

The empty case would stay fully in the chamber, and the next round in the magazine would be pushed forward and jam the slide back. After I'd get the magazine out, the round would just fall out when I tipped the gun back.

I'm curious to know what the most common reasons there are for FTE's...and uncommon reasons. I wasn't limpwristing it, so that's not the problem.

Any idea's?

Thanks,

E

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it'll hold a round there, but it's kind of loosely holding it.

If it is a loose extractor, are they hard to fix?

E

·
Registered
474 Posts
Enigma,
Extractors are not difficult to tension. You just have to have an extractor tensioning tool and a scale. Note - too much tension is as bad as too little tension. You will also need to know the factory spec on extractor tension. A call to Springfield will answer that question.
Good Luck,
John

------------------

·
Registered
731 Posts
What you may want to do is replace the extractor with a Wilson Bullet Proof or Ed Brown Hardcore extractor. Both are excellent products and come with lifetime gaurantees.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. If I replace the extractor, or fix the tension on the stock one, will that void my warranty? I just got the gun about a month and a half ago. Would it be best to just send it back to SA?

Thanks,

E

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Enigma:
Thanks for the suggestions. If I replace the extractor, or fix the tension on the stock one, will that void my warranty? I just got the gun about a month and a half ago. Would it be best to just send it back to SA?

Thanks,

E
Adjusting the tension on the extractor yourself would probably not void the warranty (I sure hope Springfield wouldn't view that a s warranty voiding issue)...and shipping the gun back to Springfield could cost you about $35 (unless you sent just the slide). You could have a gunsmith do it but I might suggest that you learn how to do it yourself. It really isn't that difficult and there are plenty of places on the web that discuss how to properly adjust the tension on the extractor.

1911's are kinda like Chevy's or Fords in that the "maintenance" is very simple and something that a normal person could do without having to take it to the "dealer".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts