1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine wants me to look at his Colt 1911A1 he says it feeds all ammo perfectly except Wolf where he gets FTE, the empty stays in the chamber. Could there be a differance in the brass to cause this. Any ideas?

Thanks

sfvet

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Possibly the lacquer coating is gumming up his chamber a bit, and/or causing the extractor hook to slip off the case.....
That and some of the Wolf ammo is not in brass.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
The simple solution is to have your friend stop shooting Wolf ammo...not every 1911 will shoot every ammo...that said, is this new manufacture Wolf, or the older stuff with the red laquer around the bullet/case to seal it?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Wolf no longer uses lacquer, and hasn't for a few years now.

Some guns don't like some ammo. There really isn't anything specific about wolf IMO that would cause it. All of my guns will reliable shoot wolf, although I don't use it anymore since I started reloading.

·
Registered
523 Posts
About 20 years ago, I had a S&W 645 that had consistent failures-to-eject when shooting one particular lot of Remington ammo. It functioned correctly with other ammo, but not with the current lot of Remington ammo we had to carry on duty.

Our department armorer hand-fit and installed a new extractor on the pistol, and it worked fine. He said it looked like the original extractor claw was within specification, but reached a minimum distance onto the cartridge rim; the lot of Remington ammo had rims that were at the minimum end of their specifications. Those two factors together probably caused the failures-to-eject.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wolf ammo

The ammo looks like new stuff, has like a gray steel case. I really haven't looked at the pistol but just trying to get some ideas what too look for.

sfvet

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FTE with Wolf

Well I l cleaned the Colt series 70 well and tweaked the extractor a little and polished the chamber and went thru a 1/2 box of Wolf with no malfunction at all. I will try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

sfvet

·
Registered
70 Posts
Give it a little more oil, I have seen countless times where someone cleans there gun and lubes it after getting it back together, goes out shooting and has all kinds of failures, and they think they have have gun problems, or ammo problems, then you give a squirt of oil and it runs like a champ.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Extractor tension is critical and steel cased ammo may not extract well if it's marginal. Something about more chamber friction compared to brass.

I put 1200 rounds of Wolf thru my 9mm M1991 last spring and had a couple of failures to extract at that point. Quick tweak of the extractor got me thru the course (another 600 rounds) with no further problems.

-- Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts