1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with one of my 45's (old /like new Colt made stainless GM). The top round off a full mag dives into the frames feedramp and jams the gun, the rest of the rounds feed just fine. I've tried several magazines I have on hand (Wilson, Colt, etc.) and the same thing happens. I've noticed that the magazine rides a little low in this particular frame.... and if I push up a bit on the bottom of the mag the jammed round sometime pops in the chamber fine un-jamming the gun.

Do any of you guys remember someone out there that makes a mag catch with the mag hook a bit higher to compensate for this problem? Or is there a brand of mag out there with feedlips such that it allows the rounds to ride a little higher relative to the top of the mag?

Thanks !

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes. Someone posted in another thread that STI markets one, but I never got the URL for that specific item. I recall that someone mentioned that it cost about $60.

JP Enterprises also sells one for $60, and you can see it at:
http://www.jpar15.com/mag.htm

A third option that I may be pursuing myself soon is to have a good smith build up a conventional mag catch, then grid on it until it holds the mags in place for reliable feeding.

If you do decide to get one of the catches from JP or STI, I would be most interested in hearing the results.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Do you also have a problem with dropping the magazines? I wonder if a new magazine spring might help? I think you're on the right track with this...just thinkin' out loud

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The newer Wilson and Baer mags present the cartridge a bit higher. Compare one of them to a conventional mag and you can see a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts