1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a LOOOONNNG time since I've been on the forums.... Had a lot of changes in my life so it has been hard to get time to get online. Got married and bought a new home. Got to go shooting Saturday and had some issues with my NRM Commander. Last time I shot it was jamming a lot (different kind of jams) and it SEEMED to be slow to cycle after each round fired so I figured I needed to replace the recoli spring. I got the Colt used so I'm not sure how many rounds had been fired on that spring. I purchased a new Wilson Combat spring and shock-buff and this was the 1st time to try them out. Now I am getting failure to feed last rounds on EVERY mag I own.(Wilson, Springfield, and Metalform). The last round(hardball) jams almost straight up into the hood of the chamber and the casing is getting smashed between the back of slide and chamber and is actually denting the casing. Obviously the new spring is making a LOT of force, could this be a problem? Is it cycling TOO fast now? What could be causing this?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

ON a better note, my other guns shoot perfectly(or as perfectly as I can shoot them:p )

Thanks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I can only give you info based on my experience with my NRM Commander, which has been utterly reliable in it's current configuration with Wilsson, McCormick and factory mags.

I would immediately ditch the shok-buf, I would also make sure I was using the standard factory spring weight which is 18lbs then try it again.

Regards,
Cameron

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use 16 or 16.5 wolff recoil springs on my colt and norinco's and they perform well with standard WWB or my lighter reloads. I suggest you go softer than 18. Maybe get one of each to try.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think 18 is factory. he said commander not gov model. I have had the same problem with my NRM commnader. No shok buffer and I used a 20 # spring from wilson. I would try 18 and 20 and no buffer.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Ditch the Shock Buffer!

This shortens recoil enough to cause stoppages.

18# spring is standard. Makers like Ed Brown use 20# for their Kobra and Executive Carry models. Shooting full power 230gr the 20# has been 100% reliable for me. As has 18# in other Commander length pistols.

But no shock buffers, please! If you don't mind the stoppages during practice at least remove it for carry.

-- Chuck

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,212 Posts
If it's a problem with the recoil spring, why would it crop up only on the last round in each mag? I'd be looking at the mags; how many do you have, and what kind? How old?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RickB said:
If it's a problem with the recoil spring, why would it crop up only on the last round in each mag? I'd be looking at the mags; how many do you have, and what kind? How old?
Wilson 47's, Springfields, and Metalform with rounded top follower and removable basepads.. They all work perfectly in my Springfield, but has the ftf on the Colt.... They are all less than 1-2yrs old....

:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts