1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm sort of new to the 1911 (roughly 1 year) and I'm having some problems in my systema. The original mag was junk, so I replace it 2 with shooting stars (CMC). Recently, my gun will not feed (usually the first round) and then sometimes on the third. I thought that it might be lube and ramp, so I cleaned and lubed it and polished the feed ramp. Still FTF on first round.

I took the slide off and inserted a mag. It seems when I put pressure on the first round, it appears to dip and hits below the ramp. After installing the slide, the same thing happens. Did I just diagnose this as the mag? It occurs with both of them (I only own 2).

I also tried using the original 16lb and new wilson 18 1/2lb recoil spring, still FTF.

Is there anything I should check before ordering a new mag? Anyone have problems with the CMC shooting star...I thought they were a decent mag for the 1911? Enlighten me please.

TIA

Eric
:confused:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
So it sounds like the FTF problem you're having is because the round being stripped off the top of the mag is "nosediving" into the feed ramp and stopping? Is this correct? If so, you may have a frame where the feed ramp doesn't extend down enough which may be aggravated by a magazine which doesn't lock quite as high as others.

If you have the opportunity to try a late model Wilson mag see if that makes any difference. The Wilson, Baer, and Tripp mags all present the top round higher than normal mags, thereby presenting the nose of the top round at the frame feed ramp.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Try a straight GI mag, which is what the gun was made for. You can get those a lot cheaper than the "name" brands and they are more likely to work. (BTW, not all mags billed as GI are, and some are junk. So know what you are looking for.)

Jim

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you want to try a gi type mag,I would suggest the ones that Midwayusa sells.They are very reasonably priced .I bought thier 10 pack and all function perfectly.I have a compact 1911 that my CM mags can't keep up with(speed of the slide)but the 7 rndrs from midway do just fine.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Be careful. I think it was Midway was selling those magazines made by Mason-Rust, CAGE Code 30745. They are Gov't contract, but were rejected due to being way out of spec. Some guns seem to work OK with them, but a lot of folks have had problems. Ones marked with the code 1M291 are OK.

I like WWII mags and they can still be bought for under $10 at most gun shows. They work all the time, and I don't worry if they have a little rust.

Jim

·
Registered
456 Posts
the ones that I purchased from midway say colt 45,with an eagle that has high standard under it no the floor plate.I am not sure if these are the ones you are referring to.I bought 10 mags and all 10 function perfectly in all 5 1911's that I have.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had the same problem, The first 2 rnds. off a mag would hit the feed ramp low. I opened up the mag lips to around .420, problem fixed. I purchased a new 10 round wilson mag and the lips were at .420 and it worked fine also. You can make a tool to open the lips. Take a piece of key stock and use a hack saw to cut a shallow slot on the end of the stock. this slot should fit your mag lips just bend them a little to get the .420. This problem was the same for any mag that I had. I had Wilson's, Browns, and Chip McCormick. All of the lips were around .380, when I opened them up they all fed fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts