1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a repost of this problem!

I have had a Kimber Custom Classic for about a month that I purchased new (it had been put in lay away by another purchaser for 14 months). I have shot 1050 rounds of factory 230 FMJ Mag Tech, 230 FMJ UMC, 200 JHP Winchester Silvertip and Corbon 185 +P. I have had 15 FTF on all ammo except the Corbon.

The FTF's are the rounds will not fully seat into the chamber. the slide will stop 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch before fully set.

I have tried Mecgar, Shooting Star, Power Mag and Wilson 47D magazines all new with FTF's on each.

In pervious post, it was suggested to get a reliability job performed.

I decided to call Kimber, after all it is a new gun.

Dennis at Kimber recommended changing to an 18.5 pound recoil spring and trying that.

I will make it yhe range this week an put arround 200 rounds of Magtech 230 FMJ and see if the spring helps, if not Kimber will get a chance to fix the problem.

If an 18.5 # spring is needed, why doesn't Kimber put it in?

------------------
Jerk

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

[This message has been edited by Jerk (edited 04-29-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have been posting lately that my brothers 2001 springfield was doing the excact same thing. he finally seems to have cured the problem by polishing the chamber, and ramps. apperantly the chamber is a little tight on these "new best you can buy" pistols. hopefully the spring will take care of it,if not my money would be on the chamber needing polished.

russel the cop

"neither of my colt 1991A1's have ever jammed" i should have paid more money so i can have the excitment of wondering if the gun will work!" :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Russel213,
Yea, Right now as far as self defence goes, I don't know if i will get to shoot the bad guy or throw it at him.

I did not pay that much, abot the cost a plain colt. Like I said the gun was in lay away for 14 months. I only paid $500, the difference between the original price and the lay away amount paid by the other guy. Right now, I'm beginning to wish the other guy took it.

I do have to say theat when the gun shoots, it shoots good. Ican now hit consistant 1 1/2 groups at 10 yards directly on the bull and 3 inch groups in rapid fire and double tap.

I could never do that with my HK 40, but it never FTF either.

------------------
Jerk

·
Registered
802 Posts
Jerk,

There have been a number of posts in the Kimber forum about tight chambers and failure to go into battery. Sounds like you "may" have one that's a little too tight.

A polish might be all you need, and worst case is usually getting the chamber reamed.

Hope you get it working

[This message has been edited by JSP (edited 04-30-2001).]

J

·
0 Posts
Jerk, JSP is correct about Kimber and tight chambers. Kimber rolls the .45 ACP marking into the barrel as the last step in the manufacturing process. What happens is the imprinting sometime puts, for lack of better term, a hickey on the inside of the barrel. Polishing usually cures the problem. At worst you need to have a smith run a finish ream in it. Cost is about $15.00 too ream and polish. Why Kimber hasn’t see fit to resolve this problem I have no idea, but don’t be soured on Kimber because of it. Once you take care of it your pistol will be a delight to shoot and should function flawlessly. Also file 13 the stock mag and buy some Wilson’s.

------------------
Guns are not dangerous! People are! RKBA!

homes.acmecity.com/rosie/happy/307/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. This is the same responce I got before. The Kimber rep told me to tray an 18.5 pound recoil spring. Result is 2 FTF from 45 rounds of ball so it looks like it will be going to a smith.

I may have to get to love Kimbers as I am the current high bidder on a Stainless custom on gunbroker.

Thanks again.

------------------
Jerk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't bother going to a gunsmith. Send the gun back to Kimber. I owned three Kimbers (sold two of em) and all three went back because of FTF. They took two tries to get my custom stainless to work 100%. It shoots great now, though it does not like corbons. Kimber will pay return postage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've dealt with a similar issue. My Gold Match "ready to compete out of the box" (per Kimber...NOT) wouldn't even chamber a 230 gr. I spent $37.50 and sent it back to Kimber. They enlarged the chamber and got it back to me in three days.

Despite the poor beginning, after about 600 rounds, I'm quite happy with the gun's accuracy and reliability.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by bnalepka:
Don't bother going to a gunsmith. Send the gun back to Kimber. I owned three Kimbers (sold two of em) and all three went back because of FTF. They took two tries to get my custom stainless to work 100%. It shoots great now, though it does not like corbons. Kimber will pay return postage.

Huum, lets see here. $5.00 to $10.00 shipping and insurance to Kimber. Might take two trips. $15.00 to local gunsmith, one trip. You decide!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It's sure nice to hear that Kimber customer service is attempting the ol' "throw the spaghetti against the wall and see if it sticks" strategy. Kimber KNOWS that FTFs are caused by mags, extractors, bad ammo, tight chambers, rough breech faces, etc. They ARE NOT caused because the spring is 16# instead of 18.5#. The next time a Kimber rep says something that stupid you should say, "Okay, but with that change would you personally take that pistol into a gunfight?"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the Kimber went to the smith today for a reliability job. I picked briley, here in Houston, They make custom pistols that are highly thought of locally and have come highly recommended to me. I should get it back in 2 weeks. I will report back then.

------------------
Jerk

[This message has been edited by Jerk (edited 05-07-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts