1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mods if this is in the wrong area, I apoligize.

I have the possibility to sell a pistol FTF in my state. The problem is that the buyer told me he is from across the state line. He also told me he was Federal law enforcement.

What if any laws cover this? I know I cannot buy Handguns in another state, only long guns from an FFL. Does this apply to individuals as well?

I asked the potential buyer if he knew of any laws prohibiting the sale, and he said no.

I plan on talking to SLED and BATFE before the Sale, just want to cover all the bases, and know what I am talking about, Prior to saying yea or nea to the sale.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Others can correct me if i'm wrong, but last I heard, private sales of firearms had to be to residents of your own state. I'd still call ATF to confirm but I'm pretty sure thats it.

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
It is not legal for an American Commoner transfer a firearm to a resident of another state other than an FFL. It would really be dumb to sell a pistol to a cop from out of state. There is no exemption for a agent of the government to buy a gun from a Citzen of another state... except to trap you into violating the law for him to make a case against you.

From the fed's faq:

B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure it was a NO NO, but did not know for sure, considering the LEO status.

Thanks again

·
Registered
966 Posts
Don't do it you could very easily be setup it's not legal. I live on the border of GA & SC have to pass on good gun deals I see as soon as I see an 803
area code. Go to a gunshop in buyers state and do a transfer there to shop and then to him from the ffl if you are gonna do it any other way and you'll end up paying out the a**.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

Entirely not worth the risk, IMHO. Tell your "buyer" that you intend to sell only through a licensed dealer and see how he reacts. If he starts acting squirrelly, I'd say you have your answer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent the buyer a email at 9 this morning declining unless he can provide the statuet under which we can legally proceed.

Have not heard back from him. This is the second such attempt by an out of stater in as many weeks on two different handguns one advertised in the paper one on the internet. HHHHUUmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Reckon I am being looked at for something?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Why not ask him if he'll meet face to face at a FFL dealer, and see if the transfer can occur there, through the FFL.

Almost sounds like he's trying to set you up.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
Don't do it. If he/she is an LEO, they know it's illegal.
Dave
Unless he/she works for the BATFE, then they might not know that such a seemingly-innocent transaction between two honest citizens is illegal. Can you think of any other item that can't be sold across state lines, but such items are legal in both states?

I wouldn't have asked the buyer to provide me with any statutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts