1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the "rare" FTF disease with my 3" UC. It's not a classic 3-point or anything, the round just noses into the ramp and stops. A tap or thumb push on the back of the slide pushes it into battery. Just started this after maybe 400 rds. Does it with ALL sorts of JHP and mags (Kimber, Wilson, Tripp Cobra). The spring doesn't seem that weak and I've polished the ramp area.

Question, if you release the slide slowly should the round stick right on the ramp, or should it go into battery easily? If I release slowly, I can get the round to stick every time, the round doesn't even start to turn upwards.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The one and only time I released the slide on my UC II slowly by hand (following the slide forward) the JHP nosedived and jammed. By releasing the slide quickly or smartly pushing the slide stop lever down, every JHP or ball round seats perfectly. Ball ammo is a little more forgiving, but I believe JHPs need the full "momentum" of the weight of the slide.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this is one of the failings of the 1911 design with modern ammo, too steep of a ramp angle. IF I were designing a gun today, I'd soften the angle a little and live with a bit longer action

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Failure to feed is usually a dirty pistol and/or rough or undersided chamber.

Excessive extractor tension doesn't help, nor does crud under it.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pistol is clean and lubed. Round jams horizontally, nosed into the ramp. The chamber never enters into it. Have to check the tension.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Remove the extractor and see if the pistol feeds properly. While the cartridge rim slips under the extractor it's not necessary for feeding, just extraction.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Rustynuts

Your magazines may be dirty. Disassemble them, clean them with Hoppes #9, and reassemble them dry. Be sure to install the magazine springs in the same orientation they came out as they are directional.

Also, how much did you polish the feed ramp? It may be that you removed the hard anodize coating and have exposed soft aluminum metal, which is allowing the ammo to bite into the metal.

My recommendation is for the next few hundred rounds shoot only FMJ ammo and let the ammo smooth out the feed ramp for you,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are fairly new mags, the Wilsons maybe 2-mos old and have worked fine in this gun. The Cobras were new out of the box.

Feed ramp integral to barrel. Frame is not polished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts