1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished my first attempt at building a 1911 from the ground up. Everything has worked fine, except I am having problems with FTF's. The gun is built on a Foster stainless slide and frame with a Kart EZFit bbl (Para ramped). With 200 gr SWC and some brands of HP ammo, the first round does not feed up the ramp,, it jams against the lower edge of the ramp where the ramp and the frame meet. This has happened with Shooting Star and Wilson 8 round mags and Wilson 10 rnd mags.
Anyone have any ideas of what to check? The gun feeds hardball just fine and shoots much better than I do.

Thanks

Tom Loyd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Shane, it's just the first round. I can download the mag by one round and it will work OK.

Tom

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Sorry Tom, I also should have asked if it FTF when you are dropping the slide after slide lock, or after you've got a round in the chamber, then topped your mag up to full again?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tom, try feeding the first round while applying upward pressure on the magazine, you can do this by pushing the butt against a workbench while trying to chamber a round. If that fixes it your problem is that the mag is too low in the frame. JP makes a raised mag catch or you can weld up your old catch and recut it higher. If this doesnt fix it you may have to do more work on the bottom of the feed ramp and sometimes even ramp the frame below the barrel. You've learned why most gunsmiths don't recomend a ramped barrel for a single stack 45.

JJ

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Is there a 1/16" gap between the ramp and the ledge?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts