1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall my stepfather doing something he called hot loading.
He would fully load the clip, insert and feed a round in.
Safety on, drop the clip and put one more in
Any experience with this?
With my 8 round mag, this would give me 9 before needing a mag change.

·
Administrator
73,436 Posts
It's called topping off a magazine (not a "clip"!) and is a common practice for anyone wanting to carry their sidearm fully loaded. I usually leave my guns downloaded by one round so that I'll be able to return the chambered round to the magazine when I unload it for any reason. I also have this feeling that magazines that aren't under the strain of being fully loaded tend to feed better.

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
I always have all my mags loaded to max. No reason not to

·
Premium Member
9,162 Posts
I always have all my mags loaded to max. No reason not to
Same here. Its always 6+1, 7+1, 8+1... etc for me.

We give up a lot for small conceal carry weapons, namely magazine capacity and barrel length, and I want to squeeze every little bit of barrel, even if its only a tenth of an inch or one extra round in the chamber plus what is in the magazine.

That is how I pick my carry weapon, by the smallest that will pack the most.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I use the Barney Mag method.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is precisely what I do.
Full mag in, rack slide, safety engaged, drop mag, top off 1, return mag. Boom. 8+1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
At first I thought he was talking about a M1 Garand and the 8 round clip that it uses. Unfortunately, you cannot load a extra 9th round in the M1 like that as you can't push the top round down to clear the bolt.
But yes most of us load a round into the chamber and then add one to the magazine.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I recall my stepfather doing something he called hot loading.
He would fully load the clip, insert and feed a round in.
Safety on, drop the clip and put one more in
Any experience with this?
With my 8 round mag, this would give me 9 before needing a mag change.
This isn’t some unusual procedure, it’s really just the only sensible way to carry a pistol.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yes, as other have stated, this is common practice but you must have confidence in the magazine (not a “clip”) feeding reliably to top them off.

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
It's called topping off a magazine (not a "clip"!) and is a common practice for anyone wanting to carry their sidearm fully loaded. I usually leave my guns downloaded by one round so that I'll be able to return the chambered round to the magazine when I unload it for any reason. I also have this feeling that magazines that aren't under the strain of being fully loaded tend to feed better.
+1
I always download by one round as well. I still only load my AR mags 28 rounds per after years of suffering through GI Mags. They also tend to seat better when doing administrative/tactical reloads...ymmv.

I usually carry standard capacity 9mms with two spares. Now with modern springs and higher quality magazines this might be a lack of trust on my part, but if I can't do it in 42+1 rounds with my P07 or 48+1 with my PX4 I'm guilty of making a sloppy peace offering.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I agree with dsk . . . . The mag's are easier to insert, with the slide closed, when not full.
In fact, I have several that will not allow you to insert a completely full mag, without hitting
it very hard.

There is a second consideration:
Anyone that has been shooting for a long time with the same gun or type (full size 1911
for example) does a subconscious count of rounds. I had one time where I had just gotten
an eight round mag for my 1911. I had multiple seven round versions that I was shooting.
I was loading all mags to capacity. - - - When the eight round mag went it and was emptied,
I actually stopped to see what had happened when the slide did not lock back after the
seventh shot. - - - Keep in mind that this is SUBCONSCIOUS, presuming you are at least
average intelligence.
As such, you will not be able to control it unless you are spending time thinking about
THAT in place of what your shooting situation is.

Another way of looking at it is . . . consistency. Do you shoot a wide variety of different
capacity magazines? If so, then you will not have that situation come up.
(consistently inconsistent?) :eek:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
100% common practice, carry all you can

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
In dangerous game country we do the same with magazine rifles. Load the box to max, drop a rd in the chamber, hold the top rd down to close the bolt. Gives a guy that extra rd.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts