1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant *Length*! Arrrghhhh!

FrankenPistol will go under the knife in the next few days. At the last minute, I decided to go with an FLGR, but I had no true reason for doing so other than a recommendation from my 'smith. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the extra bucks.

The pistol is used for targets and (poorly) at the odd IDPA match. I shoot good ol' 230 grain FMJ.

So, do it; don't do it; do it, shoot it, then decide...what?

Your Obediant Servant,

Steve "El Roto" G.

[This message has been edited by El Roto (edited 02-03-2001).]

·
Registered
236 Posts
Roto,Save your $.I have for many years switched back and forth in many many 1911's of all makes. Every time I read an article about how great they are I test again. Results, NO difference in accuracy or reliability.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Nay;

They are an added expense with no benefit. They don't increase reliability or accuracy. FLGR's of the two piece variety can, in fact, cause malfunctions when they disassemble themselves. They also remove the ability of the operator to ram the lower portion of front of the slide (the area of the GI plug)against a solid object in order to extract a stuck casing. Some gunsmiths will avow that they keep the recoil spring from kinking, when in reality there isn't enough room for it to kink in the first place.

------------------
DVC,
Sean

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
El Roto......NO.

·
Registered
451 Posts
El Roto, I think that the answer to your question depends upon the intended purpose of the guide rod. As others have said, they really do not add anything to accuracy or reliability. Having said that, I did put a full length tungsten guide rod in my Baer Premier II which is my pin gun. The added weight at the muzzle allows me to get back on target a little quicker as it dampens the muzzle's rise.

Regards,
Frank

[This message has been edited by faiello5 (edited 02-03-2001).]

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Save your money. I've taken two or three out of Springfields and have them laying around my basement somewhere.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
One thing no one mentions about full length guide rods is that they do place additional weight at the muzzle end of the gun which can dampen the effect of recoil somewhat. The same sort of benefit is suggested for cone-shaped barrels in shorter 1911s. The cone, aside from not needing a bushing on the slide, is very muzzle end heavy as compared to a normal tubuular barrel. This extra heaviness is thought to make recoil recovery a little faster, something shorter guns 'need.'

Personally, I rank the benefit to be about that of the slab grips. Everyone has a preference, everyone has their personal anecdotal opinion, and how the gun shoots really does not seem to be affected.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Kinda amazes me that for the last 75 years, virtually every semi-auto made has a guide rod in the recoil spring and yet a handful of individuals have decided they are of absolutely no value and merely a gunsmith's conspiracy to rip off consumers. (Like another $15 on a $3500 Wilson or Baer is a big deal...)

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Handfull of individuals? Hardly...might want to check your facts again.

Notice that the two most successful designs (1911 and BHP) don't have them...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kbear wrote: " Kinda amazes me that for the last 75 years, virtually every semi-auto made has a guide rod in the recoil spring[...]"

Erp? If that's the case, why didn't my Colt come with one?

"[...] and yet a handful of individuals have decided they are of absolutely no value and merely a gunsmith's conspiracy to rip off
consumers."

Erp again. I haven't seen one post here that comes close to saying this. What I have gotten is reasons why it is or isn't a good idea...and the nays are way in front.

"[...](Like another $15 on a $3500 Wilson or Baer is a big deal...)"

Erp x3! Who said anything about a $3500 dollar weapon? Frankenpistol's barely worth a fifth of that, maybe less, and I could definitely use the money for something else, say, a down payment on a nice trigger job.

Now, if you have some facts as to why a FLGR is a benefit to my pistol, please let me know as I'm quite interested.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here we go again!

This is as bad as:
"What part of the body would you rather be shot,...if you had to be shot?"

I think it adds weight, and adds personalization.

Oh,..it also makes my gun shoot 1/2"@ 100yds!

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
I like 'em. A captured recoil spring assy. makes the top end a breeze to R&R. Just pull the slide stop and slide her off. I also like the fact that the recoil spring rubs against the guide rod instead of the...

------------------
Make It Hot!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good if you want to add weight to your gun. Not necessary for accuracy or reliability. The Springfield TRP-Pro (FBI Model) doesn't have one. Interesting to note that many of the "Loaded" Springfields include FLGRs but when it comes to the FBI gun which endured all the torture tests and accuracy requirements, the FLGR is not used. My Wilson CQB doesn't use one. Also I think the Baer Thunder Ranch Special doesn't use one either. From what I have read on this forum, many of the custom pistolsmiths don't think FLGRs are necessary and don't build their guns with them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The reason the FBI guns don't have a full length guide rod is because in the spec sheet they stated that they didn't want one. this spec sheet was written by Steve Nastoff(I believe) and he didn't want the FLGR. I have them in all my 1911's(ten of them) and don't have any problem whether someone has one or not--BUT I've noticed that almost all the IPSC shooters have one. These are the guys that are shooting 1000's of rounds every month. I must admit that I like the one piece rods over the two-piece because they can unscrew themselves and I like the heavy tunstun(SP) rods for the extra weight in the muzzle. I think its all a matter of taste--some like them--some don't see a reason for them. As for me--I put them in--but you don't have to for your gun. Same as large safeties--or oversized mag releases--person choice or preference--The 1911 is like the Harley. You can dress it up, or down, with what ever you desire--as long as it will get you there in the style and comfort that you require. Everone is different, and some people might like certain accessories that others might not care for. This is America--put on(or in) whatever you feel a need for--as for me, I'm putting them in. Alvin

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Originally posted by El Roto:
but I had no true reason for doing so other than a recommendation from my 'smith. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the extra bucks.

The pistol is used for targets and (poorly) at the odd IDPA match. I shoot good ol' 230 grain FMJ.

[This message has been edited by El Roto (edited 02-03-2001).]
Why did your 'smith recommend one?
I think you yourself answered your own question as well as anyone else on this topic did. The only good reason to put one on is to add weight. If for some reason you want to do that then it might be worth it to you. Or maybe you happen to like the look.

Its like having a sixth finger. It may work, but is it neccessary? Those with five good working fingers would probably say no. It may also cause more problems than it is theoretically worth.

Spend the extra money on ammo...or maybe something like a nice bottle of wine, box of good cigars. You will then at least know why you bought what you bought.

------------------
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never do less." - Gen. Robert E. Lee

G

·
FLGR's are one of those things you kinda have to decide for yourself, because just when you take the advice of one expert, another expert-er expert will come along and say you did the wrong thing. I don't believe any 1911 ever actually "kinked" a spring, but a FLGR will make the gun sound and seem smoother in hand cycling because it does, indeed, keep the spring much closer to its intended axis, so that it is not rubbing the inside of the spring plunger. Without the guide rod, each coil, as the slide moves rearward, has to sort of funnel its way into the plunger; this makes a little bit of noise if you listen carefully. You might even think you can feel it, but it's just the sound. So, the incredible benefit of FLGR's is, um, well there just doesn't seem to be a genuine, mechanical benefit, BUT-- if you want one and it makes you feel better about your 1911, hey, no harm done and don't let anybody call you a sissy for it! If anyone is about to say you can't "press check" for a loaded chamber with a guide rod installed, well, please step behind the berm over there first if you are really going to hook your left thumb in the trigger guard, take off the safety, and put your left index finger over the spring plunger to retract the slide for a peek.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you want one get one if not then don't get one. It won't help or hurt anything.

"Spend the extra money on ammo...or maybe something like a nice bottle of wine, box of good cigars"
In my Brownells catalog steel guide rods run about $25 retail. I am no cigar expert but I find it hard to believe there is such a thing as a $25 box of good cigars? I think one good cigar would be about right.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I wonder if the Tactical Trainers in the forum use 'em...

KISS...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
For LW McVay, the FLGR isn't a different designed gun, but a modification. So the fact that two of the most popular designed handguns, the 1911 and BHP did not originally have them is not quite appropriate for suggesting that such a modification is or is not a good idea. Original 1911s and BHPs also didn't have night sights, 8 round mags, ambi safeties, extended safeties, extended slide releases, gunkoting, flared ejection ports, etc.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great responses, everyone. I really appreciate this.

I was too cryptic in my initial post, as LW noticed. Sorry. My 'smith recommended the GR for the reasons ciao-kapow mentioned.

All in all, I think I'll try it. If I don't, I'll always wonder "what if". I'll chalk it up to the learning process.

Muchas Gracias!

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts