1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a review on the Ultra Compact that recommended using the Wilson Combat full-length guide rod conversion. They said it improved accuracy. Has any one tried this and what were the benefits once you added it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Did the review you read explain how, by going to the Wilson guide rod, it improved the accuracy of the gun? Go find an issue of Am. Handgunner, I think is was one of the summer issues of this year, that Charles Petty did an article comparing accuracy results in a 1911 with and without a full length guide rod. His ransom testing results showed that the conventional guide rod set up slightly more accurate, not enough to make a practical difference. He also said that if he did the test again with everything being the same, the results may go the other way. But the point he was making is that there are no advantages to using a guide rod as far as gun accuracy goes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it did not explain exactly how it improved accuracy. It sounds like it reduces recoil from what he wrote and it makes the shooter feel more comfortable. He said this improved his long-range accuracy. This was a general user forum so it was not a professional review. Now personally I do not think the recoil is very bad. My Glock 19 has more jump then my Ultra compact. For example, my wife likes to shoot the ultra compact, but will not shoot the Glock 19. I am interested in the reduced recoil from a mechanical point. When I shoot 230 FMJ Winchester and Federal it hits all over the place 5" groups. This happens when I shot with the gun rested too. However, with anything under 200 grain it groups under 2" hand held. This is shooting at 7 yards also. I am thinking the 230 FMJ recoil may be causing excessive movement somewhere. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
767 Posts
The reason your wife likes the UC more than the G19 could be that she perceives that the G19 recoils more even though in reality its not. The G19's recoil is more of a quick snapping action, where as the UC is a push, so the G19 seems more violent.

The 230gr. loads do recoil more than the lighter loads unless you're using +P loads in lighter weight loads. The excessive movement you think thats happening, is happening, but it's happening in your head. Some people call it flinching. It's nothing to be ashamed of, comes with the territory of people with not as much experience shooting the .45ACP. You are anticipating the recoil so you subconsciencously push the gun down just as you pull the trigger or a few nanoseconds before you pull the trigger.

The other thing too is that your particular gun doesn't like the 230gr. loads. Every gun is its own, in other words no two guns of the same make, model, and caliber will shoot the same using the same loads. Some guns shoot heavier bullets better than lighter ones and visa versa.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slydlok said:
The 230gr. loads do recoil more than the lighter loads unless you're using +P loads in lighter weight loads. The excessive movement you think thats happening, is happening, but it's happening in your head. Some people call it flinching. It's nothing to be ashamed of, comes with the territory of people with not as much experience shooting the .45ACP. You are anticipating the recoil so you subconsciencously push the gun down just as you pull the trigger or a few nanoseconds before you pull the trigger.
I thought it could have been me pulling off at first, but now I do not think so. I get the same groups when shooting from a sandbag. Also the same thing when someone else shoots it. I have also shot my friends Colt Defender with the same ammo and it groups under a 1 1/2" (Same hole almost), but he has had a lot custom work done to it including a trigger job bringing the trigger pull down to 3.5lbs. I also tried rotating the ammo in the same clip for example 230, 185, 230, ect... The 230 shot sporadic still and the 185 grouped nicely. The same night I shot a 22 pistol and was dead on from the first shot. From my experience when you are pulling off it will show on the 22 when you first switch because you are still expecting the recoil. I am starting to think it is a ammo thing too, but I have to think there is a reason... Now this gun has less than 500 rounds through it so it is still breaking in. I do not plan on doing anything to it until I have 1000 rounds through it. I also want to try other 230 FMJ brands too.

·
Registered
767 Posts
At 500 rounds, you just barely broke the gun in. By all means, try different brands of ammo. It may take 4,5,6 different brands to find the one your gun likes. Like I said before, each gun is it's own when comes to what ammo it likes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts