1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd try a 1-piece FLGR in my SA Loaded to replace the 2-piece that kept unscrewing...so I just ordered a Wilson Combat one from Brownells. It didn't come with instructions, and I wouldn't have guessed I'd need them...but, is a 1-piece FLGR supposed to be slightly difficult to get into the slide? Naked, the rod will go into place no problem. With the original SA spring on it, the clearance between the rear of the FLGR / barrel link and front of the FLGR / slide is such that I really have to force it into place. Is that normal?

I know, FLGRs are pointless. Or at least for those of you who feel that way, to top it off, I bought some WC shockbuffs to go with it :)

If nothing else, it gives me some additional muzzle weight, and if I find I don't like it, I can always go back to the "original style" guide and plug a friend gave me.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hack said:
njl - I put the guide rod into place then put the spring in thru the front of the slide and then seat the spring onto the guide rod base.
I thought about that, even sort of tried it, but at one end, the end of the spring bends in quite a bit and I didn't think I'd be able to fully seat it since the WC rod has a bit of a ridge several mm before the back end of the rod.

· Registered
367 Posts
Ihad to go pull mine out to look at it. the spring should seat just fine if you give it a little clockwise twist when you install it. eeven iif it doesn't seat, the first time you rack the slide, it should cause enough pressure to force it on. What spring are you using?? :rock:

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ericthenorse said:
Ihad to go pull mine out to look at it. the spring should seat just fine if you give it a little clockwise twist when you install it. eeven iif it doesn't seat, the first time you rack the slide, it should cause enough pressure to force it on. What spring are you using?? :rock:
I'm using the original spring that came with my SA Loaded. I suppose it may be time to order a replacement from Wolff...it has about 1000 rounds through it...maybe more.

Even out of the gun, and twisting it in the appropriate direction to open up the coils, it really doesn't want to fully seat. I wonder if it would be bad to unbend some of the bent-in end of the spring...to make it easier to seat?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.