1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen 50/50 opinions about whether or not to use a full length guide rod. Some people say it's better for accuracy and other say it only adds weight to the gun without doing anything. Any reliable info about this? I read that when the USMC got their Kimbers, they specifically requested the shorter guide rod. Why?

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will not get a definative ansewer about the FLGR debate here either, some like them some don't. If you do a search on it you will be reading for the next few hours. As far as the USMC pistols, my guess is they like the standard set up because they are easier to field strip.

·
Administrator
18,603 Posts
I always like to ask new students, "what do you think a FLGR will do for YOU?"

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
Full length recoil spring guide has one (1) purpose: Adds weight to the muzzle of the pistol.

Need more weight there? I sure don't.

There is no documentation that this gimmick improves accuracy or reliability. There is much documentation that it makes the pistol weight more and complicates field stripping for maintenance. Also prevents cycling the action by pressing the slide on a corner, something you might have to do if you only have the the use of one hand.

I have one in my Kimber Ultra only becase the pistol won't function without it. I've removed it from the other pistols which came with it.

Even machine rest accuracy is controlled by your ammunition, not a guide rod.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
They help increase accuracy. They also don't do a damn thing with regards to accuracy. They make the pistol cycle smoother, while at the same time not changing the smoothness at all. They make the pistol slightly harder to strip, although they don't make the pistol harder to strip at all.

Use 'em if you want.

Or don't.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Angryman, my experiences have been...I have a Colt Combat Elite that had a FLGR in it when I bought it. I shot the snot out of it, great accuracy. I wondered how much had to do with the FLGR. On a range trip I was putting in a new Wolf 18.5 lb recoil spring and I left out the FLGR and dropped in the standard spring plug and shorter gov GR from my spare parts kit. The ONLY noticable differences were, the gun rattled a little more, but, it functioned and shot the same. My thoery since then has been 'if it doesn't need/benefit it, why have it?'

·
Registered
59 Posts
I read an article in either Guns and Ammo or the Blue press, not sure which, but FLGR's were demonstrated to increase recoil spring life. I like the added weight and found another great use for them, if you drill a small hole in the guide rod just in front of the dust cover it you can pull the slide back and insert a bent paper clip in the hole to capture the spring and guide rod bushing. It means never having to chase either one when turning the barrel bushing for disassembly.

Trey

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Chuck S said:
. Also prevents cycling the action by pressing the slide on a corner, something you might have to do if you only have the the use of one hand.

-- Chuck
+1. After attending a gun school I realized that one-handed cycling is
somthing I may want to do. All guns went to plug after that realization.

Greyson

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Fishing lures aren't made to catch fish, they're made to catch fishermen.

FLGRs are fishing lures for shooters.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Greyson said:
+1. After attending a gun school I realized that one-handed cycling is
somthing I may want to do. All guns went to plug after that realization.

Greyson
You could also use the sights for "one handed operation of the slide".
In my experience, both setups are ok.
And I don't want to get into a flame war, but the only "advantage" I see the regular setup having to the FLGR is easy of field stripping for some/most people. Personally, I can field strip some FLGR guns (there are different type of FLGR, 1 piece, 2 piece, etc) faster that the original setup, you just need some hand and arm strength to contain the recoil spring.
As for "fishing lures", some FLGR definetely change the balance and recoil impulse (I didn't say reduce recoil) of the gun.
We, as 1911 owners in general, praising the pistols ability, easyness and availability for customization; I don't think we should call one part that can change the properties of a pistol a "lure". It's perfectly ok not to like them, but if you think a bit before dismissing them you'll see why for some people they offer a valuable function.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,149 Posts
I bought a Colt .38 Super, which comes with a small-OD barrel. I put a FLGR in the gun, so it balances the same as my .45s with the short rod and plug. Functionally, I don't think it does anything for me, but it makes that one gun balance the same as the others.

Reactions: blkdragon01

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Pierruiggi said:
You could also use the sights for "one handed operation of the slide".
In my experience, both setups are ok.
And I don't want to get into a flame war, but the only "advantage" I see the regular setup having to the FLGR is easy of field stripping for some/most people. Personally, I can field strip some FLGR guns (there are different type of FLGR, 1 piece, 2 piece, etc) faster that the original setup, you just need some hand and arm strength to contain the recoil spring.
As for "fishing lures", some FLGR definetely change the balance and recoil impulse (I didn't say reduce recoil) of the gun.
We, as 1911 owners in general, praising the pistols ability, easyness and availability for customization; I don't think we should call one part that can change the properties of a pistol a "lure". It's perfectly ok not to like them, but if you think a bit before dismissing them you'll see why for some people they offer a valuable function.
Depends on the type of sights one has. For my purposes I like all of my
equipment to be the same. I don't even want to think for a second if
I have a FLGR in this pistol or not. Also I have seen a jam where one would be
very hard pressed to clear without the force one can produce by pushing
on a hard surface with a plug. Just my expierences though.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
420 Posts
Greyson said:
Depends on the type of sights one has. For my purposes I like all of my
equipment to be the same. I don't even want to think for a second if
I have a FLGR in this pistol or not. Also I have seen a jam where one would be
very hard pressed to clear without the force one can produce by pushing
on a hard surface with a plug. Just my expierences though.

Regards,
Greyson
Agreed, I should've said "some sights". Just like some people don't like FLGRs, this is one of the reasons I don't like Novaks, for example.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Pierruiggi said:
Agreed, I should've said "some sights". Just like some people don't like FLGRs, this is one of the reasons I don't like Novaks, for example.
Or FLGRs, or some Heinies.

The same thing happened to me in another sport. The more I learned, the better the basic gear became, and the less I wanted bells or whistles.

Now I hate most bells and all whistles. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.