1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed down my selections for government model full length guide rod setup.

Colt XSE factory

Cylinder and Slide

Wilson Combat

Which model do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I recommend the stock GI setup. I think a lot of other people here do as well.

Aahhh....beat me to it Bruce

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have the Wilson Combat one piece FLGR. It requires, in my case, a bushing wrench, I bought an Ed Brown. There is no benefit IMO other than a slight increase in the balance, which I prefer over the GI guide rod due to the additional weight, since my 1911 is for target/competition. It does make disassembly a little more awkward, but I am willing to accept that, it's not really a big deal. A tungsten guide rod is less durable than stainless, but can help with muzzle flip more than stainless.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Full length guide rods do nothing but take your money and make field stripping more difficult. They have never been proven to do anything.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Flgr

Full length guide rods do nothing but take your money and make field stripping more difficult. They have never been proven to do anything.
+1! They are not needed, and the standard GI guide rod will work fine.

However, for me, I like the way they add a bit of weight to change the balance of the gun. I use one piece guide rods in several of my guns. I always seem to have several standard GI guide rods in my gun parts box, and I simply make my own FLGR from a standard GI guide rod, then drill a hole in the proper location to allow the slide to be removed by using a "slave pin," which is usually a bent paper clip. For me, it is actually faster to remove the slide when using a one piece guide rod, and it prevents the recoil spring from flying across the room....:)

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
If you are dead set op getting a full length set up, I have the Dawson one which I think is fantastic. It has a captive plug which takes tension off the slide during disassembly.

Mine has been perfect from day 1.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
If you are dead set op getting a full length set up, I have the Dawson one which I think is fantastic. It has a captive plug which takes tension off the slide during disassembly.

Those were all the rage in USPSA for awhile. Then they started locking back guns when they weren't supposed to. I don't know, I've not used one.

I like the EGW FLGR. I believe it does add weight were needed and it does make the operation smoother.

If there is no benefit, why do all the custom makers put one in?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The Wilson FLGR with a flat spring smoothed out my stainless mark 4 Colt. I swear I get better groups now. I have zero problems with field stripping it too. I dunno...

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

I prefer the Sprinco Recoil Reducing Guide Rod.....and you can have it full length or short GI length.

http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

If there is no benefit, why do all the custom makers put one in?

Bill Wilson said they make a gun more accurate and the Gospel was written.

I subscribed to it for years, but I finally went full circle and like old school short (Sprinco none the less...but short) style now.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts