1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be the length of a full length guide rod?
I installed a full guide rod in my Gold Cup and found that I had to trim the forward end of it so it sits flush with the fwd face of the slide in order to install the bushing.
After trimming, the end of the rod now sits 1/8" below the most fwd end of the plug. There is now only about 1/2 the area in the plug to support the tip of the rod. I have seen photos of guns with the tip of the guide rod flush with the tip of the plug. How did they install the bushing?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Damn good thing this wasn't another "should I use them" post!!!

If it's a one-piece FLGR, the front of the rod needs to be flush with the rear of the bushing, or you are correct - you wouldn't be able to turn the bushing!

You probably saw pictures of a two-piece guide rod, where you unscrew the front half for disassembly, and pull it out of the plug before you twist off the bushing.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sammy Fan, YES. There is rampant debate on whether FLGRs improve accuracy, reliability, or shootability of 1911s. The debate is akin to the "Which is better 9 mm or .45?" debate, hotly debated, but with significantly fewer participants. From what I can tell, the FLGR debate is largely fueled by staunch opinions and ancillary observations. While people may agree or disagree on FLGRs, most agree that on your gun, if you like it and it works, good for you.

It is a fun debate, but settles nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts