1911Forum banner

Full Length Guide Rods

938 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  James
What are the benfits of a full length guide rod in a 1911 style pistol, 4" or 5" barrel? Looking at the design, from a mechanical point of view, it seems the guide rod will help control the spring during compression or axial stability. But then, Mr. Browning did not design the pistol that way.

Comments?

77Bronc
1 - 3 of 17 Posts
Well the topic needs to be discussed. Enlighted forum members know that FLGRs will get you killed and the only reason they exist is to make gunsmiths rich.
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
This is rediculous.

Yes it is and I am not one of the enlightened individuals who believe a full length guide rod will get you killed or make my gunsmith rich. Apparently there are some individuals who are very certain that is the case because whenever somebody asks a FLGR question, one will jump on the thread and post such nonsense. I thought I'd try it to see if I became enlighted. I guess I didn't because I did not remove the FLGRs from any of my guns and I am still alive almost 1/2 day later. (and my gunsmith is not rich)

I guess I forgot to put a smiley with my original post.
Originally posted by 77Bronc:
Looking at the design, from a mechanical point of view, it seems the guide rod will help control the spring during compression or axial stability. But then, Mr. Browning did not design the pistol that way.
I read a good article once (which when I recounted it on one of these forums, I was thoroughly bashed by the FLGR will get you killed gang), by an engineer for a spring mfg. The crux of the article was that more than anything, the guide rod will enhance the service life of the spring. He did mention that the spring tunnel in a 1911 did restrict the spring fairly effectively and that all in all, it isn't that big of a deal one way or the other.

He did point out that virtually every gun designed since the 1911, uses a guide rod on the recoil spring.
1 - 3 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.