1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a series 80 Gold Cup and desire to shot full loads with it. Looking for what mods I need to make as the manual says to shoot only reduced rounds.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
The manuals for my 70 Series GCs don't say anything about restrictions on full loads. Would be curious as to what your manual says. Can't imagine there's anything other than changing the recoil spring to a full 16 lb involvolved.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
This is a decades old discussion, and one that seems to have no clear roots.

The "stories" included battering and loss of accuracy, for one.
I guess if the recoil spring wasn't changed there might be some. On the other hand, I have read, and agree, that "match headstamp" ammo is some pretty stiff stuff.

Another was the adjustable sights would be damaged in some fashion.:confused:

Or the trigger pulls deteriorated from pounding. There are a few weird, extra bits in the trigger system, but I have no idea if they are that delicate.

My personal take:
If you want to shoot stronger loads, match the recoil spring to the load and have fun shooting.:rock:

I happen to like guns that rattle a bit, but that's me, I guess.:)

Regards,
Kur

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The Gold Cup is equiped with a lighter slide- less mass. Colt feels that this may lead to premature fatigue failure.

If you look under the slide- you will see the extractor is exposed in one area the metal has been removed.

Greg

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
This is a decades old discussion, and one that seems to have no clear roots.

Another was the adjustable sights would be damaged in some fashion.:confused:
The roll pin in the Elliason sight is legendary for failing.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Are you going to shoot 100 rounds per year or 1,000 rounds per month?

Colt's 'Gold Cup National Match' is more Marketing terminology than an actual description.

I've had two.

They can be modified by folks like Clark to be competitive, but they don't start out that way.

Out of the box, with a bit of sight alignment, trigger control,and follow through, they were capable of mid-high Sharpshooter scores.

No doubt, a Master shooter could improve the score and X-count.

The roll pin that holds the Elliason rear sight in place will need to be replaced with a solid tapered pin eventually.

salty

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,338 Posts
The slides haven't been internally lightened since the early '70s. I have a gun with a S80 Gold Cup slide, and if anything, it should be heavier than a Government Model slide, due to the extra material contained in the rib. The Elliason sight can be a problem. I don't know how much mileage my slide had on it when I got it, but within a few hundred rounds, the roll pin broke, as did both the windage and elevation mechanisms. Clamping a sliver of shok-buff, or other resilient material between the sight and the slide supposedly helps the sight's life span, as it prevents the sight from bouncing off the stops with every shot.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Lightened slide

For what it's worth, we build a Commander that had the same internal lightening cuts as the GC into a .45 comp gun, and that slide went five years of fairly heavy use. Never had an issue with it, and it was running great up until the time of it's theft.

I've replaced quite a few broken pins in GC rear sights, and we replaced quite a few sights with Wichitas. Other than that, I never saw any "battering".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts