1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I just ordered my first WC and trying to understand what kind of ammo is the best for practice? Since I`m waiting for a gun I wanna make small storage and get 3-5k of bullets in GI cans so i have something for practice.
Right now i use rental 1911 from my local gun range and feed it with American Eagle or [email protected] works fine for a cheap Springfield and Kimber, didn`t work at all in sti staccato.
So what`s the best quality or a buck for WC? i usually spend around 1000 rounds per month

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
WC guns in my experience flat out do not care what you feed them, I generally use magtech or S&B indoors and sometimes a good bit of reman ammo. Outdoors I shoot a lot of steel case and the above, I also really like the Wilson reman 200g semi wadcutters for games and general outdoor plinking since they are super low recoil and very easy to shoot for enjoyment.

PMC is what I stockpile alongside HST LE in my ammo stash, everything else doesn't last more than two weeks.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I've never had a problem with any of these. And my defensive round is Federal HST in either the 124g or 147g.

Fed American Eagle
Fed Champion
PMC Bronze
Remington UMC
Winchester White Box

·
Premium Member
13,964 Posts
I've always found PMC-Bronze in 230 to be very accurate (for ball), 100% feeder, and reasonably clean. Pretty much all I've used in any 45 for the last many years...Remington UMC is also really good and I do have some in the cache...Not a fan of Win-White-Box (too dirty) or Fed Amer Eagle (too inconsistent POI) - tried them years ago, but don't know what they are like now. YMMV.

For HP's, nothing compares with 230 HST as far as expansion. So if your gun has a problem with it (unlikely) send it back to WC and ask them to tune it to work with HST - they will be happy to do it. I also like Golden Saber but only as a back-up to HST.

The other thing to look at for the range if you go with HST for sd is the Federal HST practices ammo, same velocity and grains same POA/POI as regular HST but it is their Syntac ammo line. Which means you pay essentially Ball prices for it. And it is synthetic coated so less cleaning. I waited 5 months for it to get back in stock and have 200R to try next time out. I prefer to practice with the same loading as my SD ammo...If it feeds 100% I'll be buying a lot more of it in the future.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hmm, Think before I made that kind of investment in ammo, I’d wait and see what my new gun likes... I know it sounds funny, different “likes” and “performance levels” with different ammo! Different manufacturers, different bullet weights, different bullet types, ETC. I’d wait, receive the gun and then purchase small amounts of various ammo and test and record how the gun performs with each type ammo... Then I’d make large purchases ONCE I know what my gun likes!! Just an opinion...

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
Not sure it really matters, too much. My go to has always been Federal American Eagle when not shooting my reloads and that is very rare.

What is the best practice ammo will get you almost as many answers as what the best lube is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts