1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone find concealing a full size 1911 difficult? I was told the grip is the hardest part to conceal and I like a full size grip 1911, now I'm just debating barrel size. Thanks for the help, this will be my first 1911!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have no problem concealing a Gov't Model in a Tucker IWB holster. It disappears under an untucked shirt. I'm a fairly big guy (6'4" 220#), but the 1911 is a very easy gun to hide since it's very slim and a good holster will hold it close to your side.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a Kimber CDP II and a Colt XS (both full size) that I carry. In the summer months I carry them IWB and usually have a hawaiian shirt covering with a t-shirt beneath. Wintertime I use an Alessi shoulder holster. I dont print either way and can comfortably carry all day long. (sitting in the car can be a pain though with IWB!)

When carrying IWB the grips *may* become a factor - sometimes checkering will cling to your shirt and make it 'print'. Checkering can also cause rubbing on your skin which gets irritating to some. Both of my carry guns have smooth grips - however some will argue that they cant hold the pistol as firmly with smooth grips (I've never had a problem since my front strap and MSH are both checkered). Comes down to personal preference but IMHO the checkered grips *will* snag on clothing.

In addition to whatever holster you get, make sure you get a high quality belt from one of the people on the forum here (Alessi, Sparks, & others). I didn't think the belt was a big deal until I got one and it was truly amazing how different it was. Bottom line is dont skimp on a holster or belt as they will drastically effect how comfortable your carry will be.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
young.45,

I will give you some advice. First, it is easier to carry a compact 45, 40, or 9mm than a full sized Government Model. I carry a custom Kahr K40 and that works for me in a Milt Sparks Summer Special(IWB) or his Mirage belt slide.

The three best holsters for a Government Model I have experience with are: Ken L. Null UNS or Vern Humphrey holsters, Milt Sparks Summer Special, or Lou Alessi's CQC-I. These holsters will work for you 24/7 but remember it is easier to carry a compact.

In regard to shoulder holsters Lou Alessi makes a good one and Galco is famous for their Miami Classic. These work well unless you have a jacket/flannel shirt on and a high wind blows the covering garment open.

Regards,

Richard:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Does anyone find concealing a full size 1911 difficult?
Not me, btw I'm 5'6" and 148lbs.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have no problems with my HK, I use a pancake and a long shirt in the summer, and a shoulder rig with a coat in the winter.

M

·
0 Posts
Not me, I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs. I carry a Wilson CQB in a IWB holster, 2 extra mags on my weak side as well.

You do have to make some adjustments to the type of clothing that you wear. Careful how and when you bend to pick something up or reach up to get something off a shelf.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My standard everyday carry gun is a 5" 1911 in 45ACP or recently the Browning Hi-Power. The size is not an issue but the weight is. I have a bad lower back and the weight of the 1911 or Hi-Power on my belt for 10 or 12 hours gets to be too much somethimes. Thats when I carry the little Kimber Ultra Carry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts