1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TODAY I PURCHASED A FULL SIZED CUSTOM SA. JUST HAD TIME TO CLEAN IT, NOT FIRE IT. WHAT CAUSES ME CONCERN IS THE ALLEN HEAD GUIDE ROD. THIS IS NOT A FIELD FRIENDLY DISASSEMBLY. ANY OPTIONS, SOLUTIONS, COMMENTS? DIRTY ED

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The older models have a straight slot head on the 2p FLGR, and that's not too hard if you have a Leatherman on you....which you should.

Another note is that mine has absolutely never failed to unscrew itself as I fire a few rounds. Generally, I have to stop after the second magazine and tighten the guide rod.

I don't recommend you get a one-piece guide rod as they are a pain. Either the one in my Colt wasn't installed properly or they are just an incredibly stupid idea. Very hard to remove and I don't see the need for it.

What I would do, if field-servicing is important to you, is replace the FLGR with a standard GI short rod and recoil plug. This is far simpler a system and makes breakdown a snap. For less that $30, you can't beat that solution.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
411 Posts
You could replace it with a standard recoil spring guide and plug or a full length guide rod. The full length guide rod wouldn't be a field friendly disassembly however due to the bushing wrench required to disassemble the pistol. It is an option though. I would go with the standard guide and plug. Brownells or Ed Brown Products have them.

Shooter Ready?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts