1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a Max Con V handle a full size 1911? I am considering adding another 1911 to my collection and may go for a full size. I currently have a Kimber Stainless Steel Pro Carry II but may once in awhile want to carry the full size if I get one. I have a Milt Sparks VM-II which I love.

Are either of these better for a full size?

Of course which full size to get is another question, I am a big Kimber fan but am also considering a Springfield Armory.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,360 Posts
Hi John...I recently added a MaxCon V for a full-size to my collection. I'm amazed how easily it carries my Colt SS70. Gary's rig is canted more, placing the muzzle back instead of down, and the grip at an angle that sits tight against your side. I'm very happy with it so far!
Tracy

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AZ, is your SS70 full size?

·
Premium Member
20,360 Posts
Yep. I never imagined how easy carrying a full-size 1911 can be.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I am leaning towards a Custom Stainless II right now. I probably wouldn't always carry it but I'd switch off with my Stainless Pro Carry II.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,360 Posts
While we know your Pro would fit in a full-size holster, you should ask Gary if he recommends it. I don't know if the empty inch would hurt the holster or not.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would eventually get a full size holster but does anyone know if there is an issue with using a full size in a 4" VM-2 in the interim?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
john45 said:
I would eventually get a full size holster but does anyone know if there is an issue with using a full size in a 4" VM-2 in the interim?

Thanks
Yes, the barrel is one inch longer. I suppose if you push enough a 5" will go into a 4", but I would have to assume that it would damage the leather.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the reason I asked was because I recall seeing a post awhile back about that. I couldn't recall if the 4" would work in a 5" holster or vice versa.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You could use a 4" in a 5", but the last inch of the holster may start to collapse because the shorter barrel isn't there to help keep the holsters form. Putting a 5" in a 4" would go through the end of the holster, spreading the leather and possibly damage it as mentioned. The bigger problem as I see it, is if the barrel is sticking out through the end of the holster, and in a bad situation you have to draw, FAST, the front sight might hang up on the leather, and in my opinion, that is not a good thing.:mummy:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I was just curious, not something I planned to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts