1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all:

I have done a bit of searching and have not yet found if this is a practical solution.

I would like to know if it is financially and mechanically practical to in effect shorten the barrel on my Taurus 1911 w/ 5" barrel.

I would love to carry the 1911 concealed and I may still do so even if this project turns out to be impractical, BUT! At the moment, I am trying to see if there is anyway to relatively easily reduce the overall size of my gun (I would like to know what the shortest barrel length barrel could be placed on this full size frame)

#1 The reason I am considering this is bc I am a student and have limited resources. I cannot convince my wife to go for the hit I would take on the trade (Of the current 1911), PLUS the difference in cost to go with a Springfield or Kimber etc...

Thus in the context of #1 (That is, limited funds)

#2 is it mechanically viable to purchase a shortened slide barrel and guide rod? That is, would such replacement parts simply drop in? Or would there be issues regarding the fit of the slide to existing frame, dimensions of the guide rod and barrel in relation to the full sized frame? (I presume that the full size frame would not be an issue, bc I have seen what I believed were full sized frames with shorter barrels/slides).

I appreciate any input!

Konrad

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Don't know the mechanics of your Taurus, but I'm betting the gunsmith costs would far exceed you selling your piece and buying a used model in the style you want!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Most of us that carry a 1911 every day will agree the butt of the gun, not barrel length, is the hardest part to conceal. A frame and slide modification like you are talking about may be possible, but would not be practical given the costs. If that is gun you have and that is the gun you will need to carry, I would look into a Bobtail conversion. Look at some of AZHusker's posts and you will see a beautiful example.

As far as shortest barrel on a full length frame, I believe Colt made a model called the Recon that had a 3.5" barrel and slide on a full size or commander frame. If I remeber they were not very popular.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Swampy
A good IWB holster will eliminate the problem of hiding a full sized slide. Carry the Taurus for a while and save for your next Commander sized gun.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts