1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the purchase of a RIA Tactical model.

I would like to know how difficult it would be to convert this model into a compact. I'm not a gunsmith, but am mechanically inclined. (auto repairs, built and rebuilt some engines, etc.)

Is this conversion possible and if so, what parts are needed to convert this model to a compact? (barrel, slide, different spring)

Thank you, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
If you have to ask you probably shouldn't even try

If you have to ask you probably shouldn't even try. A search will show up many an extended discussion including some likely obsolete prices for outsourced machine work.

Looking to turn a Gov't model to Commander.
It's been said before, but I'll help again.

The frame has to be permanently modified to accept a Commander slide. You have to run the frame rails back and counterbore the dust cover about .105" and trim the dust cover back - this is off the top of my head, I'm at school not my shop to measure - but something like .220-.250" back. DON'T DO THIS UNTIL IT'S VERIFIED!

Take care,
Bob
converted 5" to 4 1/4 inch slide
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some advice from you guys on a previous post I decided to convert an old AMT Government 5" to a Commander.
Cut 3/4" off the slide, remachined the groove for the bushing to lock into, shortened the barrel, recoil rod, bushing etc.
Put it together with a shortened 18# spring and put a few rounds through it on the weekend, worked good, no malfunctions, cycled nice and smooth.
Just waiting for a recoil reducer to turn up from Springco and some Novak sights are coming also.

It is possible, the old Sheldon Bobcat conversion... my FLG does it to preserve the slide travel of the full size gun. But it is a lot of work.

Cut off slide to length and face off flat. Cut for bushing lug. Cut for front sight.

Cut off barrel to length. Lathe turn cylindrical to about .030" in front of second locking lug - front locking lug is gone.

Cut bushing to Commander length or replace with same.

At a minimum, shorten or replace recoil spring guide and plug, shorten mainspring to where it will not compress solid.
Better, build a new recoil spring column to use a Glock flatwire recoil spring

Jim Watson

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, for the replies, gentlemen. :)

Looks like I'll be purchasing more than one handgun. :cool: Can't have too many guns.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you like the RIA guns they also make a compact. The one my father owns is an excellent gun for the money. I have shot it quite a bit and never had a gun related problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I shortened an STI tactical to a commander slide length. I shortened the existing slide, barrel and cut the rail dust cover back to std length. For the recoil system I used an EGW blank reverse recoil plug. Used a short guide rod that I thinned down to accept Glock style flat wire recoil springs.
I've done two, one with a bushing barrel and mine that uses a bull barrel.

It can be done without modifying the frame.

If pics are inappropriate, I'll delete.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pics inappropriate? Are you kidding?! We ***LOVE*** pics around here! :)

Looks like you did a good job of it, but I'll guess that wasn't your first rodeo - was it? ;)

kestrou

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
want2race said:
To be polite to the OP, I'll start a new thread for further discussion.
want2race,
I was enjoying your pics. :cool: Wish I had half your smithing skills. :)

Caspian17 said:
RIA sells a compact tactical.
Caspian17,
I was just looking at one on Armscor's website. :) I may have to put my hands on one...soon.
www.armscor.net/Pistols.htm The CS Blue model looks like what I'm interested in purchasing.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

1 - 12 of 12 Posts