1911Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
First, a 1911 is a very specific firearm to US Army specifications, and in the vulgar vernacular, a commercial version of the same. There is no such thing as a "double action 1911." Although Colt tried with the Double Eagle and Para Ordnance will tell you that is what an LDA is. Phooey.

I don't think I have ever seen a 4506 in IDPA or IPSC/USPSA competition.

The ruling guns are 1911, clones, copies, and mutants of same; and Glocks.
There are fair numbers of Springfield XDs, Smith & Wesson Plastic M&Ps, GI Berettas, Sig-Sauers, CZ75s, and a few others. I was shooting today with a guy who uses a S&W 5906.

If you want to shoot a DA-SA auto, I suggest a 9mm. Ammunition is cheaper and recoil is less. There is no power factor advantage in IDPA Stock Service Pistol or IPSC Production.

I'd really rather see you out with your Ruger for a few matches until you can see what is going on and what you feel you can do your best with. If you were hereabouts, you could shoot some of mine. You can probably get acquainted and shoot a variety of different guns before you buy.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Thank you for all the info. I may end up just shooting the Ruger for a bit and see how that works as that's definitely the least expensive alternative. I live in California so won't be able to try your guns, but thanks for the offer. My local gun store rents guns and has a range, so I thought I'd go try some of their stuff and see how it feels. My dad has a WWII 1911 that I may borrow and see how that feels (maybe he'll let me permanently borrow it!!!). Just so many toys out there that I'd love to have. My dad has that problem. Mine has always been motorcycles and guitars, but the back is shot, so no more motorcycles.
Dan'o :}

Jim Watson said:
First, a 1911 is a very specific firearm to US Army specifications, and in the vulgar vernacular, a commercial version of the same. There is no such thing as a "double action 1911." Although Colt tried with the Double Eagle and Para Ordnance will tell you that is what an LDA is. Phooey.

I don't think I have ever seen a 4506 in IDPA or IPSC/USPSA competition.

The ruling guns are 1911, clones, copies, and mutants of same; and Glocks.
There are fair numbers of Springfield XDs, Smith & Wesson Plastic M&Ps, GI Berettas, Sig-Sauers, CZ75s, and a few others. I was shooting today with a guy who uses a S&W 5906.

If you want to shoot a DA-SA auto, I suggest a 9mm. Ammunition is cheaper and recoil is less. There is no power factor advantage in IDPA Stock Service Pistol or IPSC Production.

I'd really rather see you out with your Ruger for a few matches until you can see what is going on and what you feel you can do your best with. If you were hereabouts, you could shoot some of mine. You can probably get acquainted and shoot a variety of different guns before you buy.

real stuff

One of my local club top shooters overall normally beats us with a Ruger P89.

I have had the opportunity to try a S&W 5906 set up for USPSA (thanks to friends at the S&W Performance Center).
But it turned into a S&W 1911....

Do NOT buy anything (yet; don't worry, you'll get the chance) until you have more experience to help you form a better informed opinion on what you might like.

Do NOT let rules overwhelm any common-sense choices you might make, as there is a difference between 'game' and 'real life'.

I most often use a fanny pack when wearing a big gun (like a 4" GP100 or a EAA Witness or even a 1911).
But not always.....

A33102
www.gmps.ws

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the info. Sound like the P89 is better than I thought it was. Maybe all I need to do is take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out and maybe cleaned up a little.
Dan'o :}

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.