1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a real movie poster from 1949 that I picked up off the local Craigslist for only $30. Admittedly with some condition issues.

I love the prominently-featured Snubbie, the 1940's clothing, & the general cheesy Pot-Boiler vibe. It's now on my office wall.

The revolver is clearly a Pre-Model 10, rendered pretty accurately for film promo art.

I leaned a .30-06 FN 49 against it for a size reference. That's not a small rifle!

The poster is big; 79" tall and 41" wide.

I thought you cats might dig it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
'The Crooked Way' ......... apt title for any number of 'auto-biographies' from our friends on the left side of the aisle!!!!!! :) :) :)

Cool poster!!!

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
Hunted by killers... wanted by the law... hated by the girl he loves... sounds like someone was having a really bad day. And he probably solved it without ten spectacular car crashes and a body count in the hundreds, unlike most modern movies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Awesome pix... thanks for the share!

I just IMDB'd the screenplay writer, Richard H. Landau. Wow, that gentleman had his hands in a lot of works that shaped our past landscape.

Take a look, it's a pretty good ride.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0484479/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr2

I'm sure you'll recognize many favorites. The Rat Patrol, Wild Wild West, Gunsmoke, the list goes on...

Plus a few trashy items like the one you found

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050495/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_51

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050439/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_52

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049334/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_57

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045533/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_72

My YouTube finder list just got a but longer... thanks

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Blue Glow ---------- I actually watched the full movie on Youtube after I got the poster.

It's shot in the classic Black & White Film Noir style. Very dark. With some exaggerated angles and the use of shadow for dramatic effect.

The protagonist (wearing a fedora in the upper left corner of the poster) has lost his memory from WW2 shrapnel brain damage.

He goes to LA, his area of enlistment, to find out who he is. Of course he finds that he was a bad dude & a rat too. Drama & gunplay ensues. It's no Citizen Kane but it's a pretty decent flick.

·
Registered
673 Posts
MM, that's a seriously cool poster. So many posters in the 1940s and 1950s were cooler than the films in many situations, especially the B-movie sci-fi flicks.

I'll watch the movie tonight.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on, Borderboss. Btw, at great personal risk I will disclose what is printed at the bottom of the poster:

" Property of national screen service corp. Licensed for display only in connection with the exhibition of this picture at your theater. Must be returned immediately thereafter "

So..................... I'm clearly in big trouble with the Drama Police. I expect a Vanagon load of Skinny Jean Film Nerds to kick my door within minutes.

"give us the poster or we will rate you Two Thumbs Down!"

·
Registered
673 Posts
Right on, Borderboss. Btw, at great personal risk I will disclose what is printed at the bottom of the poster:

" Property of national screen service corp. Licensed for display only in connection with the exhibition of this picture at your theater. Must be returned immediately thereafter "

So..................... I'm clearly in big trouble with the Drama Police. I expect a Vanagon load of Skinny Jean Film Nerds to kick my door within minutes.

"give us the poster or we will rate you Two Thumbs Down!"
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Think of where the movie poster collecting hobby would be if all the theaters abided by that. There's some big $$$ in some of those posters. A friend of mine is in that business. The obscure movies with posters using great motifs and colors are pretty valuable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like the checkered diamond center grips but the "horn" is wrong. That's OK, cool poster!
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
This is a real movie poster from 1949 that I picked up off the local Craigslist for only $30. Admittedly with some condition issues.

I love the prominently-featured Snubbie, the 1940's clothing, & the general cheesy Pot-Boiler vibe. It's now on my office wall.

The revolver is clearly a Pre-Model 10, rendered pretty accurately for film promo art.

I leaned a .30-06 FN 49 against it for a size reference. That's not a small rifle!

The poster is big; 79" tall and 41" wide.

I thought you cats might dig it.
We dig it the most, daddy-o! We're hep to that vibe. It's the ginchiest!!!

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
You’ll be arrested for gun related propaganda!
They will also put that 06 on the “list” thinking it’s a BAR.
There are helicopters in the distance...:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Very nice rifle, I like the poster too.:)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speaking of helicopters, specifically the Conspiracy Theorist's "Black Helicopters" of tinfoil hatter's legend:

THEY EXIST. Or at least one does. My kid & I have been doing drive-abouts. It's the car version of a Walkabout. Just as a way to get outta the house for awhile, without interaction with other people.

Last week we went to La Jolla (the fanciest part of town) & drove up to the top of Mt Soledad to see the awesome ocean views. There's a large concrete cross up there that has been a point of controversy + a small park / war memorial.

The park area was barricaded and secured by yellow-jacketed dudes. Plus unmarked SUV's.

Behind this whole staffed perimeter was------------ A GIANT FLAT-BLACK HELICOPTER.

I have no idea what that was about or who these guys were.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts

The park area was barricaded and secured by yellow-jacketed dudes. Plus unmarked SUV's.

Behind this whole staffed perimeter was------------ A GIANT FLAT-BLACK HELICOPTER.

I have no idea what that was about or who these guys were.
You didn't hear it from me, but they are part of Task Force GAMMA - FEMA Spec-Ops. They are scouting for areas that can easily accommodate the virus internment camps that the Corps of Engineers are building - parks! This was clandestinely funded by the COVID Stimulus Act under the 'Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts' line item. People were upset that funding was earmarked for the 'arts', but, in this case, 'arts' means: 'virus internment camps'. Remember, you didn't hear it from me. :hrm::hrm::hrm::hrm::hrm:

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
You didn't hear it from me, but they are part of Task Force GAMMA - FEMA Spec-Ops. They are scouting for areas that can easily accommodate the virus internment camps that the Corps of Engineers are building - parks! This was clandestinely funded by the COVID Stimulus Act under the 'Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts' line item. People were upset that funding was earmarked for the 'arts', but, in this case, 'arts' means: 'virus internment camps'. Remember, you didn't hear it from me. :hrm::hrm::hrm::hrm::hrm:
Nancy really had to take one for the team to get that in the bill.:barf::barf:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I get stuck in a field hospital, I want it to be THIS one. It's on the most valuable couple acres in the County. You can see 40 miles up the coastline from there & south into Mexico.

It is BEYOND Prime Location. The opulence of the surrounding homes is impressive to say the least. Ain't no broke folks livin' up there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts