1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Sig Forum is all excited about the new Sig 1911, but now they are starting to ask a few good questions.

At first it was as though Sig was making a 1911 pistol unlike any that had come before. The Sig 1911, because it is a Sig, would be the best ever made. Many over there who had never owned a 1911 or wanted to own a 1911 are now eagerly awaiting product availability. They're sooooo excited!

In the early undercurrent was the notion that this would be a perfect 1911, reliable and bulletproof. After all, it's a Sig.

Then the realization has come that the new Sig "Granite" 1911 is made with a mix of parts you could buy anywhere. Caspian frame and slide, internals from familiar names. The term "MIM" has already entered their discussions. It's fun to watch.

Now the question is "what makes it a Sig?" Well, it's assembled by Sig employees on a Sig workbench in a Sig facility overseen by Sig engineers and Sig production managers. The components are certainly good quality from the reports. I expect it to be a good pistol.

The fun part is the "Sig enthusiasm" - an almost religious experience, certainly an adrenaline-rich environment to say the least.

On a serious note, though, this all points out the power of a good reputation for quality products. Sig will sell a boatload of pistols because of their reputation alone. I'll bet they had that in mind all along.

Last thought - if a great reputation can sell a new line of 1911's then I eagerly await the Lou Alessi line of 1911's.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well with the linup of parts being used.. provided the fitting is done correctly.. this should be a very nice pistol.. I do enjoy the fact that those who previously looked down upon us 1911'ers now look forward to they're own. :)

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be a good pistol.

Here's an example the enthusiasm over on the Sig Forum:

"The Granite Series

I am impressed but, then ever since I bought my SIG P220 I have been impressed with SIG pistols. I had always hoped that someday they would produce a 1911 style pistol and looks like my prayers have been answered. I can hardly wait till they are available at the gunshops. Hurry, hurry or I'm going to chew my lower lip off in anticipation........"

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't think I will be selling my SW1911 to buy one!:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
tonerguy said:
Now the question is "what makes it a Sig?" Well, it's assembled by Sig employees on a Sig workbench in a Sig facility overseen by Sig engineers and Sig production managers. The components are certainly good quality from the reports. I expect it to be a good pistol.
The slide also has the familiar tapered contours at the muzzle end, just like the P220/226 series.

I gave this thing the once over out of curiousity, but didn't see anything I don't already have with my Series 1 Kimber.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So how will this differ from the Smith and Wesson 1911?

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
No recalls.

They're beautiful. Just got to play with them today.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
angus macfuff said:
Same concept, different company. New target market plus existing 1911 market. Sig fans will buy. Others as well. A likely winner.

Personally, I have enough 1911's.

What? Enough 1911's? What are you saying?

For the moment.

That's better.:)

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
angus macfuff said:
Sig: Cast frame/forged slide
S&W: Forged frame/forged slide

Sig: Funky Sig slide cuts
S&W: Regular roundtop slide configuration

Sig: Second major existing company to realize the 1911 is a viable product.
S&W: First major existing company to realize the 1911 is a viable product.

Sig: No MIM parts.
S&W: Some MIM parts.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
618 Posts
You forgot a couple Sam.
The Sig has the rail and the Smith does not
The Sig will be available both blued and stainless and Smith is only stainless for now.:D

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
strick909 said:
The Sig will be available both blued and stainless and Smith is only stainless for now.:D
The SW1911 is semi two-tone with the hardware blue/black and the slide, frame, and barrel all stainless plus the aluminum trigger.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
I'm not overly concerned about MIM or the lack there-of. I think I can see a cast part or two in there... I'll take MIM over conventional castings any day! Anyone know who makes the hammer and thumb safety?

·
Registered
618 Posts
No recalls.
I knew AZH had to find a way to slam S&W!:p
I am surprised you jumped on the bandwagon, series 80 and all.
It must be a very nice pistol.:D

·
Banned
802 Posts
OK, I'll bite;

WHAT are the quality parts they are using in this gun besides Caspian frames?

Most important, what fire control components (hammer, sear, disconnector) are being used?

Secondly, who manufactures the barrels?

Are the slides produced in-house by Sig or are they a Caspian product as well?

Grip safety? Thumb safety?

There are allusions to the quality parts being utilized but it seems information on the vendors is not forthcoming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts