1911Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have two Model 28's...

This one is a 4" S-prefix 28-2 wearing Ken Driskill elk stag stocks.

The other started life as a 28-2, but ended up slightly different. Here's the story...

In the early 70's I was a huge fan of Skeeter Skelton's writings and his promotion of the .44 Special. Skeeter also promoted MMC (Miniature Machine Company) as the agent for converting N-frames to that caliber. I drank the Kool-Aide big time. I acquired a used Model 28 ($125) and J&G Rifle Ranch had original S&W Model of 1950 .44 Special 6.5" barrels, which I purchased (don't remember how much - under $50 I'm sure). It even matched the matte finish of the model 28's frame.

I called MMC and found that there was a one year wait (Skeeter was very popular), so I put my name on the list - this was ca 1973. Several months later, in another gun magazine ("Guns" I believe) I came across an article about a gunsmith who was doing this same conversion - it was George Matthews of Downey, CA. I called him immediately and told him what I had and what I wanted. Off it went.

I don't remember how long it took, but it must have been reasonable, because I don't remember calling him for status updates or complaining about the amount of time. When it came back, it was a thing of beauty. The only things that gave it away as being a conversion, rather than an original, were the model stamping under the yoke and the recessed chambers. He installed and pinned the barrel. Bored out the chambers in the cylinder and recessed them. Faced the front of the cylinder and changed out the Patridge blade for a Baughman ramp with a gold insert.

Over the years it has had many thousands of Skeeters favorite rounds shot through it (7.5 grs of Unique behind a 250 gr LSWC, usually a Lyman 429421). It has accounted for many turkeys and hams at local club shoots. It has also undergone some changes in evolving as I matured. I installed a smooth combat trigger and a rebound spring from a Model 14 single action. As the eyes got older I finally gave in to an optical sight - a first generation Tasco ProPoint RDS (this was when their optics were still made in Japan). I mounted it on a B-Square "no-drill" mount. It was/is an ungainly looking set-up, but worked very well - and the turkey and ham march went forward. The final modification was a grip change. After removing the stock Magnas from the donor frame, I installed a beautiful set of S&W smooth Goncalo Alves target grips. Those remained up into the 90's when I came across a pretty unique Hogue monogrip. It was made from Micarta and had a brass spacer on the butt. I knew a fellow that worked at Hogue and contacted him. He remembered the grip and said that it was, indeed, unique and that the customer had supplied the material - just the ticket for a pretty unique gun. Here is a picture in the configuration outlined above....

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
16,302 Posts
THAT is a thing of beauty. Those grips - AYE CHIHUAHA. Nice. I agree with you on smooth combat triggers. My hands have been abused enough from 50 years of work.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
First thought that ca

oh you mean a S&W Highway Patrolman revolver?

I do have a Colt Trooper .357 Magnum 4”.

I remember when some of the un-official requirements for a Highway Patrolman or State Trooper was 1. Male , 2. Over 6ft tall , 3. Intimidating demeanor.

Reactions: Che

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have a 28 just like yours, and debating were to get rid of it or a 686 4" that I also have, I have over 40 hand guns and it is too much to keep up at my age of 69
I'm 72 but if you decide to part with that 28 PM me. I have considered selling out but what if you find out that you can take them with you ? Besides that I have good records on everything so my wife or son would know what everything is worth, they can sell what they want and keep what they want. Anyway, let me know about he 28

·
Registered
507 Posts
My first duty weapon, S&W model#28 with 4" barrel, after I got off probation swapped the 4 for a 6"

Reactions: Che

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
My first duty weapon, S&W model#28 with 4" barrel, after I got off probation swapped the 4 for a 6"
We were all issued S&W Model 15 (4 inch) 38 Special but after probation you could get any Colt or S&W revolver in 38 Special or 357 Magnum. That was 1981 and a few people did buy Colt Pythons.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
... 4. Caucasian

The vast majority, perhaps. But I do remember a few Black troopers. They more than fit the first 3 requirement though.

That was 1981 and a few people did buy Colt Pythons.
A former cop in my town carried a nickeled 4in Python that his folks gave him when he graduated the Police Acadamy. Carried it till he retired as Chief.

·
Registered
507 Posts
We were all issued S&W Model 15 (4 inch) 38 Special but after probation you could get any Colt or S&W revolver in 38 Special or 357 Magnum. That was 1981 and a few people did buy Colt Pythons.
In the Academy class we were issued 4" model#28, after probation you could go back to the range and swap to a 6" 28. They had some model#19's but I like heavier pistol. I don't think you could buy a pistol and use on duty.

·
Registered
109 Posts
First thought that came to my mind….. View attachment 622097 Photo credit to the Paso Robles Newspaper (apologies to this CHP Officer, the CHP (a fine organization of dedicated professionals) and the newspaper)

oh you mean a S&W Highway Patrolman revolver?

I do have a Colt Trooper .357 Magnum 4”.
same here! Seem like very time I get pulled over its a Dude...

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I was only 5' 10" when I became a patrolman in Wyoming. I had carried a S & W Model 28 as a deputy, but we were issued Model 686 revolvers. I guess the rest of the criteria applies.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts