1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I didn't get the Glock 29 or 30 after all the help you guys gave me. Instead, the history bug bit me and I got a T/C (American made) Hawken .50 cal flintlock rifle.

I fell in love with blackpowder when I bought a Colt Blackpowder Arms 1860 Army percussion revolver a few years ago. Man, is it fun. I didn't have a blackpowder rifle, so being familiar with percussion, I went with the flintlock.

Took her to the range today and I honestly felt honored and humbled to be able to partake of these traditional, historic-type firearms.

A little research showed me that the flintlock dates to about 1607. The percussion dates to about 1830. Isn't it odd that percussion arms are much more popular than flint when flint reigned supreme for over 220 years, while the percussion only lasted about 30? Sorry about the digression, but this fact is so odd. It's probably our love and fascination with the war between the states.

I suggest you try blackpowder. It is a lot of fun and makes one very instrospective in regard to who we are and the road that led us here. The whole lineage thing becomes much easier to grasp.

The Glock 30 will come later when I have some extra money.

Take care,
Rob

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I do love the history of the blackpowder, after all, if it weren't for that, would we have cartridge fired weapons today? I just don't like the idea of having to clean my gun after 4 or 5 shots. Have a great time with your new T/C!

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kimber45:
Have a great time with your new T/C!
Thanks. I did. And that whole big delay thing is a myth. The gun fired very quickly after pulling the trigger, surely not as fast as a modern cartridge, but almost as fast. Just a fraction of a dealy. The common misconception is that you can pull the trigger, step away to eat lunch, and return in time to point the rifle just as it discharges. It's all a myth.

Rob

·
Registered
332 Posts
y'know, i've been thinking of getting into flintlocks also. how much did you spend and what 's the cost on supplies (balls, powder, etc), and what supplies do you need? how about smoke? a lot produced to offend surrounding riflemen? ohyeah, ffl required to purchase? i have no idea what else to ask. let me know all you know. thanks.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

[This message has been edited by BOLANTEJ (edited 10-17-2001).]

101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by BOLANTEJ:
y'know, i've been thinking of getting into flintlocks also.
Great. It is a whole lot of fun.

how much did you spend and what 's the cost on supplies (balls, powder, etc), and what supplies do you need?
I bought it at the Cabela's superstore in Dundee, Michigan. They had an awesome selection of guns. Hundreds. The blackpowder long guns I saw range anywhere between $199-$799. The T/C I bought was $419 in flint and $399 in percussion (it seems a lot of makers are that way, offering a particular model in flint or percussion). My gun is not historically correct, meaning it has a rifled barrel and modern iron sights. It looks historic, though. I wanted accuracy (and it is accurate) more than historical correctness at this time, but there are models out there that are historically correct. Traditions offers a flintlock that looks modern--laminate stock, fiber-optic looking sights. It looks very sharp.

The supplies that are absolutely necessary:

FFg (called 2F) blackpowder for the main charge

FFFFg (called 4F) blackpowder for the pan (ignition) charge

powder measure (brass cylinder graduated in 5 or 10 grain increments)

patches (not cleaning, but the ones that hold the ball tightly in the barrel.)

projectile balls of the appropriate diameter

ball starter

Patch worm (helical, auger-looking device that extracts lost patches from the barrel)

piece of flint or agate (pronounced aggit)

touchhole pick

Things that are nearly absolutely necessary:

blackpowder cleaning solvent or the guy told me I can use a homemade brew of 1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 vinegar, and 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap

cleaning jag, brush, patches (The ramrod on mine is threaded on the ends to accomodate the cleaning tips and patch worm. So a seperate cleaning rod may not be necessary on the gun you choose.)

FFFG powder measure (smaller than main charge measure)

powder flask or horn

pipe cleaners and Q-tips

The above supplies (all of them) cost $110. So I left the store, excluding tax, $530 lighter. That is comparable to a modern firearm obviously. If you are held to a strict budget, the Italian rifles for $199 didn't look all that bad. They had a nice finish, nice parts fit, and seemed to feel tight. The super long, historically accurate guns were the ones that cost big money, and they looked solid as a rock. I mean they looked beautiful. They were Italian, too, but of a much better quality.

how about smoke? a lot produced to offend surrounding riflemen?
There is a fair amount, but it is not overwhelming. I don't think there is enough to offend anybody.

ohyeah, ffl required to purchase?
You show you are from PRK. I take that to mean People's Republic of Kalifornia. Believe it or not, the four states that make you jump through hoops are Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, and my state of Michigan. I belive you can order a blackpowder through the mail if you live in sunny CA. Figure that one out!!!

i have no idea what else to ask.
Read the owners manual very carefully, I'm sure a lot of your questions will be answered there, like how load the main charge, how to load the pan charge, how much powder to use in each, how to position the flint in the cock jaws, safety concerns, petroleum-based lubes vs. natural lubes, etc.... If you think of anything else, let me know.

Rob

[This message has been edited by In service to His Majesty (edited 10-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by In service to His Majesty (edited 10-17-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.