1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fondling a 1911 at a local dealer the other day.Slide to frame fit was nice and tight and everthing seemed real solid.One thing I noticed is when I released the slide and kinda road it back into battery with my off hand,it would not fully lock up unless I gave it a............decent whack on the back of the slide.This just mean a tight slide to barrel fit?Is this a good thing?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The new production Colts are fitted snugger, and one of the guns in our case will do the same thing - but only if you "ease" the slide down gently. I suspect that under it's own steam it will function flawlessly, and in a box of ammo or less it will just be "smooth".

The tighter tolerances the public insists on these days come with a price - you should clean and throughly lube a new Colt with a standard gun oil - NOT a synthetic "Super Lube". Then go put 2-400 rounds through it for break-in and function check. Follow up with 100 rounds of your carry ammo using all your carry magazines and you will be good to go.

Colt deliberately leaves a slight tolerance in slide to frame fit to ensure reliability - 90% plus of the accuracy potential of the 1911 design is actually in the barrel/slide fit. Slide to frame is almost irrelevant for a carry piece, and is too tight on most of the clones. As you can see, Colt has the barrel fitted up for accuracy throughout the line, and 2" groups at 25yards are commonly reported with new Colt production 1911s.

I believe the current Colts are the best 1911s ever fielded by ANY manufacturer, including the "old" Colts.

After break-in/function check I would switch to Tetra or some other modern synthetic lube for all weather protection.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The tightness is caused by the barrel link, hood and lug lockup. The fact that you have to exert pressure to get it to lock is a good sign--it is indicative of a good tight gun.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
By the way--just looked at your address!! What gun shop did you go to? If you still live in Kent, I can tell you of a few really good places to buy guns from. E-mail me off list, if you're interested.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Powderman:
The tightness is caused by the barrel link, hood and lug lockup. The fact that you have to exert pressure to get it to lock is a good sign--it is indicative of a good tight gun.

Not necessarily Powderman - it could be a sign of an INCORRECTLY fitted lug lockup.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
In order to speed up "break-in" (getting the new parts to mate smoothly) it is advisable not to use a synthetic lubricant on a new handgun (or automotive engine for that matter!) early in it's life.

The synthetic lubes do a little too good of a job - their superior low friction characteristics slow down the initial "wearing in process" during which the new parts knock the sharp edges off each other. By using only conventional lubes for the first few hundred rounds, break-in should happen quicker.

During this initial period, keep the gun a little more heavily lubed then you would normally, and clean often to remove the "particles" dislodged from the sharp, new machined edges.

This is a carry over from automotive racing engine practice - when you want to get piston rings to seat and parts to mate properly, you take a little more care at the beginning of the engine (or handgun's) life. It pays off in improved performance and longer life down the road.

Switch to your favorite synthetic lube after you are satisfied the gun is running 100% and is "broken in". Usually within 500-1000 rounds.

Just one man's take on the care and feeding of a new weapon. Is it essential? Probably not. But it works for expensive, precision engines, so why not?

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love too Powderman,just don't know how to get ahold of your info.
By the way,I've checked out pretty much every shop and large pawn from Tacoma to Bellevue and still havn't sniffed a defender,I'd like to have a looksee someday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Picked one up this last weekend, awsome gun love it...As soon as I get it good and broke in its going to replace my sig 239 as my carry gun. DAVID

[This message has been edited by sig_in_tx (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
byron2112: Shoot me an E-mail at:

[email protected]

I know someone who has a Defender--right now!! It is for sale, and he's good to do business with.

Also, I'm a member at Black Diamond. Where do you shoot?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts