1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, new to fusion, new to concealed carry and new to guns. Wow!

First things first. I bought my first gun about 5 months ago a SpringField XD 45 4'inch.

I then took the Concealed class here in Houston. Received my permit a couple months back but have never carried. I have a IWB holder coming in for the XD.

in the meantime, i've fallen in love with the 1911's and particularly Fusions.

I'm leaning towards a 9mm since i already have a 45 (i can be convinced otherwise).

other then that, i'm ignorant. Does anyone use the Fusion as a CC? any tips/thoughts/suggestions? I've been reading the various gun forums for a couple of weeks now and will continue to do so.

Thanks,

WHEC 716

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
The XD45 is harder to conceal than any 1911 IMO. The grip is long, which is the hardest part to conceal.

Fusion will be a great CCW gun, take your pick.

Your first 1911 should be in 45, after you have that venture into other calibers. I'm not against carrying 9mm, but why carry 10rds of 9mm when you can have 9rds of 45.

That's my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
i was thinking 9mm so i have a choice with ammo - 45 acp is very hard to find in houston
It is easy to find, mail order. I can give you some sites if you need them.

If 9mm is what you want, go for it. Like I said that is my opinion.

9mm 1911s are traditionally more finicky than 45. I'm not saying they aren't reliable.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I carry my Fusion Commander EVERY day. I carry it in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion IWB Holster. I have a bobtail on mine which helps minimize printing and also keeps the butt from poking me in the ribs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 9mm commander

I shoot one all the time. But I will tell you it is finicky sometimes when it comes to ammo. WWB 9mm doesn't always have enough blast to fully load the next bullet. Maybe 1 in 100 does not always load. As far as SD ammo, for my 9mm, Golden Sabers are tricky. If it is not put into the mag "just right" it will not feed. However I never had federal ammo jam. So if you get it, shoot lots with different types of ammo and find what works best.

But if it is your first, why tamper with perfection? Get a 45.

Rey

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
I shoot one all the time. But I will tell you it is finicky sometimes when it comes to ammo. WWB 9mm doesn't always have enough blast to fully load the next bullet. Maybe 1 in 100 does not always load. As far as SD ammo, for my 9mm, Golden Sabers are tricky. If it is not put into the mag "just right" it will not feed. However I never had federal ammo jam. So if you get it, shoot lots with different types of ammo and find what works best.

But if it is your first, why tamper with perfection? Get a 45.

Rey
What kind of 9mm do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I have a bobtailed 9mm Fusion but do not carry it.... Not when I have the 45's available......

Wes

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also carry the Fusion Bobtail Commander in .45 cal. I use a HBE IWB holster which took awhile to get use to. I upgraded to a heavier belt which keeps the rig in place better. Hopefully my next one will be a .38 Super NCOM .Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If I was going to pay for a fusion to carry it would be a alloy frame bobbed commander .45...10oz lighter..

The reason??..I just bought a Dan Wesson CBOB all stainless after carrying a Colt Defender for yrs. I really notice the extra weight and the only one who'll make what I want is Fusion..Now I just have to get up the $2000+

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm nuts on Fusions!

Carry the 9MM, 38 Super, and the Scout 45.

All work great & carry in the same DeSantis Holster OWB. Also carry the same three in UBG, IWB leather.

Have a great day, I did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a bobtail elite from Fusion, and it's all I carry. I put around 400 or so carry rounds (Winchester Ranger 230gr +P) through it before I carried. I would always recommend around the same just to be sure it works with your preference of ammo.

I like it. I don't carry IWB usually. I usually wear baggier clothes and wear OWB. Just a personal preference.

I'm not sure I would get a 9MM specifically for carry though. It's not the reliability I would question (it's a Fusion after all, and it will probably work 100%). It's just that you're only getting 1 or 2 extra rounds. Makes 45 a little more appealing to me.

However Fusion does offer the 2011 frame (double stack) in the 4.25 I think, and in any caliber you want. Then you'd be getting more capacity, the slimmer slide, just a fatter grip is all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts