1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to build a dedicated 1911 frame for my father for Christmas this year so he could keep his Kimber .22 Conversion Kit mounted full time. After great success with the Commander Kit I built earlier this year I decided to use a Fusion Frame and ignition system.

I sent Bob the Kimber .22 slide and he fit a frame to it extra tight for me. I spent an entire Sunday afternoon lapping it in until it was smooth as glass. It had to be extra smooth to account for the lack of recoil of the .22. Here is the build list:

Kimber .22 Conversion Kit
Fusion Full Size Frame
Chainlink on the FS and MSH
Fusion Carbon Fiber Trigger
Fusion Ignition Kit
Fusion Slide Stop
Ed Brown Single Side Safety (would have used a Fusion but I forgot to add it to my build sheet I sent Bob and I had one laying around the shop)

I finally finished fitting all the parts this afternoon and took it outside for a test run. It ran great with Hi-Velocity ammo but failed to fully cycle with standard velocity. That is a normal occurance with most .22 Kits.

As usual I get carried away and forget to take pics as I progress in the build process. Here are a few I did remember to take.

The Start:

Lapping in the Slide

I use JB Bore Bright Extra Fine when I lap in my frame/slides. Works just as good on them as it does on rifle barrels.

It is off to my good friends at Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville, TN to get a coat of their Flat Black Rhino-Hide on the frame and all the controls. I will promise to get more pics when I get it all put together.

Another great product from Bob and his band of great smiths at Fusion!!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I too am thinking about this as a great training possibility and was wondering what this may have set you back. Please forgive if I am being rude by asking the price.

Regards,

Pete

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final Pics below!! After final fitting of all the controls and lapping the slide/frame in I sent it off to my good friends at Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville for a coat of Rhino-Hide (same as Cerakote) treatment. Got it back today and had to lap the slide/frame a wee bit more after the coating. Went to the range this evening and ran 100 rounds through her without a singe hiccup. Once again Bob and the crew at Fusion sent me a great kit to work with and as you can see below it turned out pretty damn good!

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I have finally seen the finished product of what I have been thinking about doing for a while now. This may be the motivation I needed. Nice work to everyone involved.

Wes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts