1911Forum banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
It may be a regional thing. Seriously, if you looked at the gun shops around me you'd think the 1911 was dead and buried. Aside from a Rock Island or two I never see anything for sale. I haven't seen a single Colt or Springfield in a glass case since before the plannedemic began. Even the high-end shop which often sells Wilsons and Nighthawks has but one or two 1911s for sale, and that's it. Ten years ago they had an entire glass case reserved only for 1911s.
That’s the one thing I see as well that does bother me. My two closest shops only stock budget 1911’s from Tisas or Rock Island and it’s pretty limited at that. One shop about 25 minutes away stocks a few DW and Wilson’s but that is likely under 5 pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Currently on a page 3, with most shooters reporting a significant decline in shooting due to current situation.
Best price I could find on .45 online was 40 cents per round before shipping and taxes.
You all think that new shooters, on whom we supposedly rely to carry the .45 forward and who don't reload, are going to jump on this?

Winter time, I shoot indoors on a public range. I literally do not remember when it was last time I saw someone shoot .45.
I haven't seen anyone at the range, except for myself, setup his pistol target at the last line, 25 yards.

But I have seen noobs with .45's. ( at 7 yards lol)

Knocking bowling pins off the table or knocking steel plates over has little to do with stopping a human being.

More is more.

In Ohio, a man just put a 9mm through his own hand and into his wife's chest. They just stood there giggling.

I want more than that.

·
Administrator
76,465 Posts
It’s hard to believe that in the 21st Century people still believe that the .45ACP is a more effective cartridge than the 9mm. But hey, gramps told me all about shootin’ them Nazis with the .45 and it blew them off their feet too.
It is more effective, at least against human-sized targets with no body armor. How much more effective is debatable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As memories and tales of the .45’s legendary shopping power in WWII become fewer and more distant, and surplus .45ACP ammo is gone, it’s bound to become a “foreign” round to new shooters. And despite the 1911’s benefits, crisp trigger, great sights, excellent ergonomics, etc. the cocked and locked carry mode is something new shooters again find “unusual and unsafe” at first glance.
I think only us old boomers and some serious pistoleros like 1911’s anymore, .45 or not.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I haven't seen anyone at the range, except for myself, setup his pistol target at the last line, 25 yards.

But I have seen noobs with .45's. ( at 7 yards lol)

More is more.

In Ohio, a man just put a 9mm through his own hand and into his wife's chest. They just stood there giggling.

I want more than that.

Ah yes, the might .45 “man stopper”. Giggle. I want more than that too.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Arguing about which is more powerful, the .45ACP or the 9mm Luger, is like arguing which car is faster through the quarter-mile, the Corolla or the Sentra.

Even Colt knows which cartridge is the proper caliber for the 1911.

Font Camera accessory Auto part Circle Document

Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Wilson combat is adding to their production space.
Yep. SIG p365 is a bestselling handgun three years running. Bill needs to get those grip modules going, along with those 320 modules, WC Glock packages, WC Berettas and a whole bunch of double stack 1911 looking 9 mm guns.

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Registered
319 Posts
Something else to note ... assuming that most (not all) 45 ACP pistols for sale at the LGS are 1911 models, and the majority of those are Govts, I think quite a few folks won't consider a pistol of that size and weight. The trend for the recent past has been compact compact compact. The smaller the better. If the current trend is geared to small SIGS, Smiths. etc. then logically the big guns are fading from interest and marketing efforts. How many new shooters joined the ranks of armed citizens the past few years? And how many of them went for a 1911? Demand controls supply for the masses, but the 1911 is still a strong niche that won't disappear, even if more folks are going for the small stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts

This is where the 1911 market is going

The P365 is where the rest of the market is going. I see the 1911/2011 becoming the "Gucci Glocks" as a lot of people are picking up on how good the ergos and triggers are.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
If you are talking about what happened at the Parma Armory (Ohio) last month, the round went through his hand and thru his obese female-cousin's derriere (violated Rules 1 & 2). The round was found on the floor.

This is in addition to the person who ended up w/ a "Glock leg" more recently outside the same range (violated Rule-1).

·
Administrator
76,465 Posts

Ah yes, the might .45 “man stopper”. Giggle. I want more than that too.
Do you really think people actually believed the old drill instructors who claimed that a .45 would tear a man's arm off and spin him around? Anyone who believes in handgun "stopping power" is kidding themselves. If you watch CCTV footage of perps in 7-11s getting shot at by the store owner you'll typically see nothing but people diving for cover or running out of the building as fast as they can. Only later do you find that the perp or store owner was actually shot.

In recent memory I can only recall one such video where the store owner dropped the perp right on the ground with a single shot... and it was with a .45 1911. However I'm not naive enough to believe it had anything to do with "stopping power". The bad guy was hit once in the chest and it took out his heart or aorta. You do that with nearly any caliber and you'll get the promised results. Shoot him in his belly fat and you probably won't.

Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
…l
With a smile, Oh my… I didn’t know I was that out-of-sync. That’s where I shoot, after “warming up” with one magazine at seven yards.

But with you also setting up at 25 yards, I’m in good company.👍

But I’m no great marksman. I just like the greater challenge and concentration required. Also, any miss trend — high, low, right, or left — becomes really clear.

Lastly, if I’m shooting poorly, most likely no one will notice😆

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Do you really think people actually believed the old drill instructors who claimed that a .45 would tear a man's arm off and spin him around? Anyone who believes in handgun "stopping power" is kidding themselves. If you watch CCTV footage of perps in 7-11s getting shot at by the store owner you'll typically see nothing but people diving for cover or running out of the building as fast as they can. Only later do you find that the perp or store owner was actually shot.

In recent memory I can only recall one such video where the store owner dropped the perp right on the ground with a single shot... and it was with a .45 1911. However I'm not naive enough to believe it had anything to do with "stopping power". The bad guy was hit once in the chest and it took out his heart or aorta. You do that with nearly any caliber and you'll get the promised results. Shoot him in his belly fat and you probably won't.
I’m not the one running around claiming that the .45 is “powerful” or a “man stopper”.

·
Registered
1911s and AR-15. I like building and tinkering.
64 Posts
Lot's of "outdated" pistols and rifles are still popular regardless of current trends. For example: the Walther PPK, Beretta 92, Winchester lever action, Hi-Point, etc... the list goes on and on.

Recently, S&W just came out with the CSX, a gun that's basically the functional equivalent to the 1911, a subcompact, all metal gun meant to be carried cocked and locked with an external hammer.

1911's are extremely popular for many reasons, one being their versatility. You can get a subcompact in 9mm or 380 acp, or you can go full sized and get it in 10mm, 38 super, or 45 super. You can even get one double stacked if you want more capacity.

I'd say that as long as these alternate variations of the 1911 are available and popular, the traditional versions, the government and commanders in 45 acp will be too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 1911 still has a good future. People like me prefer the classic look, the slim profile, the ergonomics of the grip, and the trigger. Bill Wilson says they are selling more 1911's in 9mm than 45acp, and that's fine. I'll stick with 45acp because I reload and have around 5,000 fired cases, dies, and bullet moulds. Hand gun models have come and gone, but the 1911 is still around after 111 years! The sheer number of manufacturers that copy the 1911 should be an indicator.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Too many variables to look at. A lot of first time buyers. Compact pistol war over the past years and still continues. Cost of 9mm vs 45 acp. Conceal ability. Weight reduction. Recoil sensitive people.

My personal experience is when I got hooked on pistol shooting I wanted more. I ended out getting into Ed Browns, Wilson’s and Baers. Both in 45 acp and 9mm. CCW a 1911 for the longest time. Back problems hit. Carried a G19 with reduced rounds in magazine. M&P 9 Shield, G43, and settled on the P365.

IMO, some of these new pistol owners might get hooked and want more. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
“.45 delivers an abundance of stopping power. JMB created the sidearm in .45 because the .38 cal had lost a lot of soldiers because it lacked the stopping power the army needed against well-armored attackers. The .45 ACP is a slow-moving but heavy round that is well-known for its stopping power. Tested in countless wars, Americans have an inherent trust in the cartridge. The 45 still punches a larger hole in a target. Inherently a subsonic cartridge, it funtions well out of nearly every barrel length. The 1911 used by Gen. John Pershing’s expeditionary force in Mexico in 1916, and the .45 was already a legend by the time it saw service in World War I.

The 1911 was ideally suited for trench warfare. Instead of trying to load six bullets into six different chambers in a revolver during a milling trench fight, a doughboy had only to slam a single magazine into his automatic to be ready for action. The .45 quickly became known as “the gun that halts the Hun.”

You may have heard “The 9mm will kill the body, the .45 will kill the soul.” It was stated that way because the .45 hits so hard. The big fat .45 230 gr. JHP round does a lot of damage, it dumps its energy into its target and usually doesn’t over penetrate. Unless of course you are using Buffalo Bore, which is known for producing some of the most powerful ammunition on the market. The 255-grain hardcast load is very powerful and sends a bullet at 1,000 fps from a 5-inch barrel. Penetration in gel is dramatic, with bullets commonly passing completely through 36 inches of bare gelatin. This particular load is as powerful as the original black powder .45 Colt loads for the 7½-inch Single Action Army … which is saying something!

Americans truly trust the .45 ACP and the 1911 platform, even if ballistics science says there are better options. A 1911 in .45 ACP is culture. Cartridges such as the .40 S&W and 10mm Auto were supposed to do away with .45 ACP. They didn’t.

It’s difficult to find a .45 ACP cartridge that doesn’t function well. There isn’t a large degree of difference in performance from barrels between 3 and 6 inches, considering that there isn’t a large disparity in velocity between those barrel lengths. Jacketed hollow-points and other expanding ammunition will typically work just as well in a compact .45 or a full-sized pistol. Many types of 9mm ammunition aren’t geared toward low velocity. Sometimes, there are significant performance gaps between compact carry guns and full-sized duty guns.

It’s impossible to have a discussion about the .45 ACP without looking at the 1911 pistol. The two are forever linked. There have, of course, been other calibers of 1911 made, although none ever achieved the popularity in the 1911 platform as the .45 ACP has but the 1911 in 9mm is gaining by attracting a lot of shooters for the obvious reasons.

The 1911 is an old, outdated and overcomplicated “dinosaur” that can be fickle as far as ammo goes. It needs tuning, hand-fitting of parts as benign as safeties and sights, and it can be picky with magazines. The descriptor, “drop-in,” has a completely different meaning with the 1911 than it does with Glock pistols and AR rifles. The idea that you’d have to file something is foreign to many modern gun builders. To work on a 1911 is to have deep knowledge of everything from staking sights to hand-filing slide rails. You also need the right tools.

Despite all that, it’s still the single greatest handgun ever designed. It has its flaws, but there’s a big difference between a well-built 1911 and everything else out there. You feel a sense of confidence when you put your hand on one: The 1911 and the .45 ACP get the job done.
Today’s 1911 pistols are typically quite good from the factory. Most are ready to run, right out of the box, and they don’t need much tuning. Unlike many modern guns, 1911s are, by nature, tight fitting and sometimes require a few hundred rounds to get them going. The .45 ACP is an American staple. So is the 1911. And they aren’t going anywhere.”

61 - 80 of 121 Posts