1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started reloading and made 200 FMJ 230gr rounds with S&B brass and they feed with no issues in my R1 1911. This go round i used the G.F.L brass i have same bullets, same overall length (1.260) same sizing and seating dies by they won't feed. They are getting sick in the chamber about 3/4 way through. The only difference i can find is the wall thickness of the brass potentially. Had anyone else had issues like this?

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
My experience with GFL has been excellent- it's good stuff. (in 9mm and .45acp) I'd think since you are [apparently] batch loading, that something has changed. Did you change your crimp die? If the new batch is shorter, your crimp may not be closing the flare enough.

Reactions: Che

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My experience with GFL has been excellent- it's good stuff. (in 9mm and .45acp) I'd think since you are [apparently] batch loading, that something has changed. Did you change your crimp die? If the new batch is shorter, your crimp may not be closing the flare enough.
Thanks for the response. I am batch loading, I got a bag of range brass and cleaned it all up and sorted out into brands. But I am not using a crimping die. I did just load 14 rounds of the CBC brass I have and ran 2 mags through the same gun with all the same components with no feed issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your picked up brass may have been shot through an unsupported barrel and be bulged, preventing proper resizing. Do you have a case guage and did you guage it?
I do not have a case gauge but I did try dropping it in the barrel and it stopped before fully seating. I know it is too thick but I'm not sure why or if it's fixable.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am batch loading, I got a bag of range brass and cleaned it all up and sorted out into brands. But I am not using a crimping die. I did just load 14 rounds of the CBC brass I have and ran 2 mags through the same gun with all the same components with no feed issues.
Question, ....why not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No particular reason. Forgive my ignorance, like i said i just started reloading, but is 45acp normally crimped? And if that was the problem wouldn't the s&b as well as the cbc brass have feeding issues as well?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My experience with GFL brass is that it's a bit thicker. My 38 Super GFL brass kept getting stuck in my Hornady seating die collet.
You might need to get a taper crimp die to squeeze it down a bit for chambering.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It sounds to me like you are having issues due to the bell not being crimped. I just set the crimp enough to knock the bell off. Properly sized brass will handle any issues with setback, so the crimp isn’t needed for anything else.

·
Premium Member
8,175 Posts
I am a new reloader also, so I probably have the least experience answering your question.
I’ve only reloaded 45 acp FMJ 230 gr so far.
But, I’m using both a crimp die and a case gauge and have not had one issue with function or feeding.

·
Banned
2,151 Posts
If you didn't taper crimp or remove the flare/bell of the case mouth that's a critical error that should have arisen in your other loads but could be tied to that brass. When I've seen this in my taper crimping the case mouth will hang on the roof of the chamber if the taper isn't enough. One person said .469, I usually have mine at .467.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Your sizing die sizes the OD of the brass, regardless of the case wall thickness... so your issue is likely 1 of 2 things...
1. either you aren't removing the flare fully and need to crimp.
or
2. your brass is bulged. (but more likely issue #1)

And remember when we say crimp, we aren't talking about a deep deforming crimp- some people measure it out and litterally just remove the flare... and end up with bullet diameter plus wall thickness x2. I generally crimp about .002"-.003" under that.

·
Premium Member
6,476 Posts
I would be willing to bet that a light crimp set to about .470 will have the rounds plunking into your barrel and case gauge. I’ve always found GFL brass to be very good.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have been reloading for about 2yrs now with my Dillon xl650, I run the sizing die down until it touch’s the Shell plate & then back it off 1/8-1/4 turn. On crimping, I crimp my loads .001-.003in basically enough to take the bell off plus a little. I do this on all my straight case loads (.45acp, 9mm, .38spcl/.357 & 45-70) ,fairly important on any revolver loads.

also I check the COL on every round as well as run everyone through a chamber gage to make sure they fully seat. It’s a “must do” for me To control the quality of my loads.

i also have 2 old single stages that I use for reworking any non-conformance, one is equipped with a sizing die and the other has a seating/crimping die. I can’t say that in all the loading write ups that I’ve read that any of them have recommended not crimping of some kind particularly with belling the brass. The G.FL. brass may be slightly longer than your other brass which would make the bell bigger, wouldn’t have to be much. My .02

·
Super Moderator
16,339 Posts
I have loaded a ton of GFL brass in .45 for several years and have never had a problem with it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.