1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used S/A GI double stack/hicap
I probably gave more for it than the hive would justify.
However it is one only a handful that I have seen locally, in a looooong time.
I read about cracked frames and little to no, accessories for it.
Debating if I want to/should put time and money into improving it mechanically and aesthetically.

·
Banned
725 Posts
I am not familiar with the S/a double stack but I like the feel of the larger frames, I have a Kimber, a Bul (both rare also)and a Para , all double stacks. In the least I would keep it for the rarity. Good Luck with it. Pictures would be nice too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I own a S.A. PW9701L. Good pistol, all stock and will probably just keep it that way. Trigger is ok and I can still use the small sights ......for now. I have 6 14rd Mec-Gar mags to go with it. Just get out and use it as-is then decide what needs to be improved. Maybe down the road I will change out sights and improve the trigger beyond that I think mine will say as-is. All boils down to $$$ any way you cut it. Best of luck in your quest.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,149 Posts
The cracked frame stories appear to be confined to the earlier, forged-frame guns.
I customized my hi-cap. A Para trigger did not fit. A one-piece mainspring housing/magwell from S&A fit perfectly. A Wilson beavertail was installed gap-free. My gun also had a Kimber ambi, SV Infinity lockwork, Heinie rear and Dawson front sight.
Other than the lack of an available oversize, adjustable trigger, and replacement grips, there are plenty of parts that fit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After a quick field strip/clean/lube, all looks well.
It came with only a mecgar mag.
So the hunt for factory mag (s) is on.
Need to get some ammo for another gun, then it's range time.
Previous owner color filled roll marks.
Best way to safely remove the color?

·
Super Moderator
22,149 Posts
I think Mec-Gar is the "factory" mag.
I bought three or four P14 mags, and two or three ACT-Mags as spares.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mec-Gar P-14 mags will work but hang about .030" too low in a SA HiCap. My two factory SA HiCap mags will not fit in my Para Black Ops P-14 but the Para's will fit in the SA HiCap. I had some feeding issues with the Mec-Gars in the SA HiCap when I used +P or 45 Super ammo. Regular ammo seemed to work ok in them. The Mec-Gars are really designed for the Para guns. The ACT mags worked a bit better than the Mec-Gars in my SA. I have some photos that show the difference.

Here's a factory SA mag in a SA HiCap.

Here's a Mec-Gar mag in the same SA HiCap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have one manufactured in 2005, it is a shooter. Someone before me put a set of night sights on mine. I've had it for about six months and not one problem, thee only thing I would change are the grip panels, I love mine!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"The cracked frame stories appear to be confined to the earlier, forged-frame guns."

So how I know if mine the older production, or not?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Two quick ways to tell forged from cast, Forged has a plunger tube that is riveted to the frame and the serial number is below the slide stop pin. Cast is a one piece frame with the serial number in front of the slide stop pin.
Rich

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Here is the one I bought several years ago before it was discontinued. I was going to make it all tacti-cool, but the lack of parts and fun stuff made me sell it unfired.

Here she was. I sold it to a member on this forum years ago.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So now that I've had this a while, I'm at a cross roads.
I'm not content with it as is.
So do I upgrade it.
Or
Sell it and move on.
If I upgrade it, I want beavertail, skeleton hammer, upgraded sights and refinish. If I do all of this, I'll be >$1k into this.
Mind you this is not building my dream gun or a family heirloom.
This is just a gun that I would like better, if it looked different.
SO....
Am I wasting time and $$ (essentially polishing a turd)

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
So now that I've had this a while, I'm at a cross roads.
I'm not content with it as is.
So do I upgrade it.
Or
Sell it and move on.
If I upgrade it, I want beavertail, skeleton hammer, upgraded sights and refinish. If I do all of this, I'll be >$1k into this.
Mind you this is not building my dream gun or a family heirloom.
This is just a gun that I would like better, if it looked different.
SO....
Am I wasting time and $$ (essentially polishing a turd)

You asked :
Looks like you sell it . Take the 1k you would put into that pistol and the
money you get for the pistol and go buy your Dream gun or have it made
for you by SACS . You will be much happier . :)

·
Super Moderator
22,149 Posts
I modified mine for USPSA Limited competition, but it would have made a nice nightstand gun, loaded 18+1 (Dawson basepads).
It actually felt really good in my hands, as there's more room on the frame to get a good grip with both hands (downside if you have small hands).
The lure of the single stack meant I rarely shot the hi-cap, so I sold it to someone who'd get more use out of it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I like the double stack 1911 and have 3 full size paras.
If you spend the coin on upgrades you will have more in the gun than it will be worth though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts