1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who has one and what do you think of it? Is it worth it or keep using the Dillon super swage? Any info from those who have used one is appreciated!

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Tom, I'm always interested in your opinion, so, how many pieces of brass did you swage with the G.S. on your 650, before you decided it didn't work right? Were you not able to seat a primer after the pocket had been swaged with the G.S.?

If that system works as advertised, it'd speed up my operation three or four times. I'm using the Super Swager now, and it works fine, but feeding the brass to be swaged from my 650's casefeeder looks like the way to go, IF the G.S. will work.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Anybody tried one of these? I have 15k pcs of military 5.56 brass to process and am REALLY interested, if this thing works.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Since I've heard nothing here other than an "no" for unspecified reasons, I checked out a few reviews and YouTube videos of the swager in action.

@ $88 plus shipping, I can afford to gamble that it will work. I'll post a review in this forum after I receive the device and try it out.

My plan, if the GS swager works, is to use a universal decapper @ station 1; swager @ station 2, and the Dillon power trimmer with sizing die probably @ station 4.

I'd then, of course, run all the processed brass back through for priming, powder, and seating.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I've heard nothing here other than an "no" for unspecified reasons, I checked out a few reviews and YouTube videos of the swager in action.

@ $88 plus shipping, I can afford to gamble that it will work. I'll post a review in this forum after I receive the device and try it out.

My plan, if the GS swager works, is to use a universal decapper @ station 1; swager @ station 2, and the Dillon power trimmer with sizing die probably @ station 4.

I'd then, of course, run all the processed brass back through for priming, powder, and seating.
Awesome! I look forward to your review as I'm still on the fence.

·
Super Moderator
7,807 Posts
Since I've heard nothing here other than an "no" for unspecified reasons
Sorry Walter, Uncle Sam has me over in Eastern Africa looking for bad guys. Internet access for me can be hit and miss.

I have a few friends that work at Dillon. The stress that the upward pressure puts on the shell plate can be enough to damage things. Any of that damage is not covered by Dillons warranty.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me Tom. Didn't realize that you were out of the country. I was more concerned about the consistency of the swaging, giving that the shellplate isn't rock-solid like, for example, a shellholder on a Rockchucker, etc.

I'll give the swager a try. I'm hoping that those guys at Dillon haven't actually tried the swager and are just making well-educated guesses. ;) I believe that I'll be able to "feel" if excessive upward pressure is there.

I've put a lot of "upward pressure" on my 650's shellplates in the priming process. Won't know, until I try, how much real upward pressure is required for the swaging.

Is there any chance that the GS would be commercially competitive with the Super Swage, and that Dillon doesn't offer a press-mounted alternative? :D

Ooops! I'm exceeding my 50-word goal; gotta run!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Sorry Walter, Uncle Sam has me over in Eastern Africa looking for bad guys. Internet access for me can be hit and miss.
Keep your head down and your powder dry, be safe Sir.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most people that I know that are serious about processing military brass just get a 1050. Press mounted solution right there.
I don't know about you but if their is a viable option to use on the 650 I currently own for $88, then I'd rather do that then spend $1600 on a 1050. I'm not looking to commercially process brass. Just wanting to reduce the amount of time I spend processing by eliminating how many times I have to have to handle the brass.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Too bad Walter can't put the decapper, the GS swager, and Dillon trimmer
on a Lee progressive with casefeeder (that's the part of the Lee that does work).
Then he can prep brass on one machine and load on the other.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Too bad Walter can't put the decapper, the GS swager, and Dillon trimmer
on a Lee progressive with casefeeder (that's the part of the Lee that does work).
Then he can prep brass on one machine and load on the other.
Hardehardeharharhar! The more I think about how sturdy that shellplate is, the less I believe that the upward pressure of swaging will damage it. Can you imagine the amount of force required to bend a 650 shellplate? That's the only part that could possibly be damaged, as far as I can tell.

Wonder what those guys at Dillon think about the Vibra-Prime? :):):)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hardehardeharharhar! The more I think about how sturdy that shellplate is, the less I believe that the upward pressure of swaging will damage it. Can you imagine the amount of force required to bend a 650 shellplate? That's the only part that could possibly be damaged, as far as I can tell.
I have never damaged a Dillon shell plate in over 30 years but did you know that the fellow that sells the swager also sells tool steel shell plates for Dillon machines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-S-Custom-...d=100011&prg=8476&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=321217770601&

From the above link.
Buy the shell plate that Dillon is worried about. He knows these are far better than the plates they sell. If you break the lips on my shell plate I will give you two of them in return.
Makes me wonder why he thought a market would exist for a stronger shell plate. As I have never damaged one in more than a million rounds loading on a dozen Dillons for almost 30 years (using them as intended).

Not to mention, in my old drag racing days, I learned that when you beef up one part, you quickly find the next weakest link.

Not sure how much force it took to do this

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218552-Dillon-Super-Swager-isn-t-so-Super-after-all

But is it more than I would want to put on my 650 shell plate/bolt. Not to mention Dillon will replace the swager in the above link for free. You would have to lie to them to get them to replace broken 650 parts due to the swager mod. They have already gone on record saying they would not warranty damage caused using the swager kit on a 650.

Be sure to post a review though, there are a lot of folks that have interest.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
If Walter wants to swage, I say let him do it.
He'll report back to us on how well it works.

[Note: If he decaps in 1 and swages in 3 and trims in 5 he will
distribute the load rather evenly across the shellplate, which probably
places no load on the center bolt during ram upstroke. I expect no problem.
Look at how hard we pull the handle when we have a stuck case.
Even with compound linkage the swaging force is probably small.
If Walter or other GS user is smart, setup and adjustment will be
critical so the swaging pin doesn't keep bottoming out in the pocket
while the motorized trim tool is still trimming. That would put force
on the center bolt it isn't expecting. ]

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yep, he already has it on the way too.

He can't swage on 3 though, you take apart the priming system and it replaces parts of it to swage, so it has to happen on #2.

It would be impossible to be swaging and trimming on a 650 at the same time.. Trimming happens when the ram is all the way up and swaging would be all the way down.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Yep, he already has it on the sat too.

He can't swage on 3 though, you take apart the priming system and it replaces parts of it to swage, so it has to happen on #2.

It would be impossible to be swaging and trimming on a 650 at the same time.. Trimming happens when the ram is all the way up and swaging would be all the way down.
Ah, I see. Well then, he will put a moment on that center bolt.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.