1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone us the Galco adjustable paddle for their 1911? Do you like it? I sure think that mahogony one would go well with the new stainless Gold Match but function counts too of course.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Nice looking holster but it's gotta work. I guess I meant Havana Brown not mohogony.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The best paddle holster I've experienced for concealability is the new G-Code. It's designed to carry high and tight, versus most paddles that carry the gun lower.

When carrying SA Champion, the muzzle is only 3.5" below the top of my belt. The gun/holster conceals well with untucked t-shirt.

Since it carries the gun high, I suggest a good 1.5" belt. Anything less and the gun will tend to flop a bit due the high center of gravity.

These guns are precisely molded for the intended gun model. Don't expect a universal fit holster.

Check out the G-Codes at www.range5.com.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a Galco paddle, And It sucks (IMHO). It would not "grab" under the belt when trying to draw the pistol, so you would pull the holster out! Not what you want if you REALLY need to draw in a life threatening situation.
I had a Don Hume for my Ruger P90, and it was great. A good price too. Had a long, wide leather "bar" sewn onto the paddle which would "fan out" as you broke in the holster, and grip even better.
You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good quality holster. And Don Hume holsters are fitted for each type of gun

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a Galco paddle, And It sucks (IMHO). It would not "grab" under the belt when trying to draw the pistol, so you would pull the holster out! Not what you want if you REALLY need to draw in a life threatening situation.
I had a Don Hume for my Ruger P90, and it was great. A good price too. Had a long, wide leather "bar" sewn onto the paddle which would "fan out" as you broke in the holster, and grip even better.
You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good quality holster. And Don Hume holsters are fitted for each type of gun

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I have a Galco paddle holster for my Beretta 92 and my Sig220.They are well made and convenient but not very concealable

·
Registered
660 Posts
The Galco FED paddle is the only paddle holster I have. I carry a 5" 1911 in it. It works good, but with the thumbreak you need to practice your drawstroke. If you do not properly and quickly un-snap the thumbreak, there is a possibility of pulling out the holster wiht the pistol.

It is well made, secure, and fits my 1911 quite well. I don't use it for concealment much because it lets the butt of the grip stick out just a bit too much. But, when it does not have to be concealed, it works fine. Also, sometimes when I am going to and from the range, house, etc., or if I am walking out of the house for a quick trip up the road it is nice to just slip it on.

Galco is quite a good company making very good holsters. Many people like to pick at them as not being "custom". Hey, their gear works. I have several holster for them for my 1911s and Glocks. They did not cost $125-$200 apiece and they do the job quite well. And I did not grow old getting them.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have been thinking about a Galco Paddle for my S&W 640. where is the cheapest source for them?
Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here in New Mexico, I would call Guns, Gifts, and Gadgets first. Talk to Allan. They are located on Menaul in Albuquerque. Great store, decent prices, knowledgeable staff.

On the web, try Cheaperthandirt.com, they usually are pretty cheap and have a good selection. But I would try GGG in Alb. first personally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts