1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Take some time and post some pictures of your Competition Firearms. Everything from Benchrest to IPSC to High Power to IDPA to Skeet ect. If it is a game and it involves guns, lets see 'em.

Please include some basics about the gun such as manufacturer/builder and some of the things that make it special to you.

·
Super Moderator
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is my first STI Limitedgun. Built by Roscoes Custom guns and Andy Ginn in 1999. The barrel is a Schuemann AET and it has a Brazos (then Krebs) thumbshield. On the outside the slide looks like a Unique Cut, but on the inside it is heavily lightened. It weighs less than a normal cut/profile slide. I sent it off to Doug Jones for Accu-rails and then Virgil Tripp for Hard Chrome.

I have close to 50,000 rounds through it and no complaints.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The good old single stack.

I may retire this gun if my springfield single stack build proves as reliable, but I'm building it so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Here is my IDPA / TSA / Steel Shoot Gun...XD45 with a Powder River Precision Match Trigger, Henie Slant Pro sights, Miller Custom bbl ramp polish and USMC0802 Custom Ghetto Grips...Not pretty, but I'm a functional kinda guy!

Total Game Gun as I would never carry it. It's too damn blocky and I'd probably pull my shirt off with that grip tape...

Which brings me to this gun...pulls duty as my CCW, IDPA CDP Division and all around fun beater gun...One year and it gets around...11k rds as of today

·
Registered
392 Posts
What I'm currently shooting / current roster

ESP / Single Stack Minor:
Springer 1911 Loaded Target 9mm, Dawson front sight, Larry Davidson G10's, S&A magwell

CDP/Single Stack Major (parts go on or off depending on if it's a saturday or sunday):
Dan Wesson PM7 .45 acp, Dawson Front sight, Larry Davidson G10's, S&A Magwell, Extreme Trigger kit set to 2.5lbs by JPL, Ed Brown GS, ED Brown ambi wides, Infinity Trigger/ Benos insert (now sporting a STI short trigger)

New CDP gun/back up gun/CCW

Colt Combat Elite, S&A Alexander Magwell

USPSA Gun

Open Division: SVI 9mm Major, C More Serendipity, Brazos Pro Series Trigger Kit, Bedell Comp and Blast Shield, Limcat Magwell, SVI tubes...

Latest gun...

Production division / IDPA SSP / CCW : CZ75B, Competition sites and hammer, trigger job done by Springer Precision, Cocobolo grips...

Reactions: goethe

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
S&W 627- 8 times for ICORE open.

S&W 625 for ICORE Limited and USPSA Revolver.

Para P18-9 LDA for USPSA Production

STI Edge-40 for USPSA Limited.

STI Edge-45 for USPSA Limited 10.

STI Trojan for USPSA SS.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
ICORE - S&W 686-6. One of the "stocking dealer" 5 inch half lug Hi Viz guns. Had it cut for moons, did the action work and went shooting. The V notch rear and rounded Hi Viz front were very fast indeed on the close stuff, but I felt they were costing me points at any sort of distance. I swapped them out for a square topped SDM front and a standard .160 factory rear blade.

USPSA - S&W 625-8. Drilled the front for a bit of brass rod, swapped the shallow rear blade for a .160, did the action work and went shooting.

USPSA - Kimber Stainless Target II. Added a Dawson .090 front, an Ed Brown well very minor action work and went shooting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
USPSA Production: Sig P226 w/ Gray Guns Competition pkg., tungsten GR, Dawson/Warren sights

USPSA Production: S&W M&P Pro

USPSA Single Stack: Wilson CQB

Dawson f.o., magwell and much holster wear added since this early beauty shot...

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
CZ Shadow for 2009, 5#DA, 2#SA, comp hammer.

My old EGW 9X23 open gun. SV frame, caspian slide, EGW barrel and comp. 1.5# trigger, Dawson magwell, etc.

My first hicap open gun. Springfield P9 in 9x21 built by Gary Kimball. This was a true true gunsmith build. Welded triggerguard, weld beavertail, welded magwell, checkered, one off compensator, custom made recoil system, George Huening barrel, 1.25# trigger. This gun got me to Open Master. :D. Unfortunately it was sold off to pay for more guns and its out there for sale again.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My pics seem to have degraded in quality but here they are.

My custom 40x rifle for rimfire benchrest, which was my first comp shooting. Now seems a little sedate for my taste and age.

Other side of the stock. It's paulonia wood, used for weight not looks, but this piece had nice grain.

My CDP/SS gun. Yep I like those finger grips, and yep, I know they are ugly. I've since learned that the extended slide release is not kosher for CDP.

My current .22 Steel gun is a Marvel on top of a CBOB. I'm having a Mr Serva & Co make a Fusion lower for it.

My M40, since retired to a carry/office gun. I now use the MA1 40 and 9 for SSP/Production/L10

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
For USPSA, I have a S-V in stainless. Brazos front sight.
I also have a blued S-V that serves as a backup gun. When not serving in that role, I reconfigure it for IDPA use with a Bar-Sto bushing barrel. This is how it's set up in the photo below.

For IDPA, I use several guns in addition to the S-V above. This is a SA Loaded 9mm, with a S&A magwell, VZ grips and Dawson front sight. Also added some internal parts to increase reliability, such as EGW FP stop, EGW extended firing pin, etc.

The Springfield will soon take a back seat to this one. It's a full custom in 9mm done on a Caspian titanium frame by Marty Cutrell. It's far more accurate than the Springfield. I recently acquired it and posted more details in this thread: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=219372

And for CDP, I use one of my CCW guns, a pretty much stock LB TRS. The sole modification was to replace the rear with a Y-B Professional.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My limited/L10 gun, mostly Fusion and EGW parts. With TacSol 2211 conversion. I built this one.

My old Single Stack gun. SA TM with a Kart barrel and new finish.

Smith 41 with Herret grips and Clark STC barrel

625 USPSA revolver

1000yd benchrest rifle .300 wsm, Broughton barrel, Bat daul port action, and nightforce.

·
Registered
115 Posts
IDPA 1911 pistol

Here is my S&W 1911 I use for IDPA. Bob Miller of Miller Custom, did the accuracy work on the gun. That one hole group can be covered by a U.S. Nickel and consists of a full magazine of 8 rounds at 25 yards from a Ransom rest. Ammo was Federal 185 gr. Gold Match.
I used the gun in three seperate matches of about 100 rounds each without cleaning the gun to test for reliable function. Not one FTF or FTE in 300 rounds without cleaning.:rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Here's my latest build. I wanted the ultimate IDPA ESP "Gamer" Gun and this is what I came up with...

·
Registered
838 Posts
I use this Sig P226 X-5 Competition .40s&w in USPSA Limited.
I've got ten Mecgar 15 round mags for it. It can take standard P226 mags, but you have to shave a little off the bottom plastic guards on the 15 rd capacity mags to get them to fit, but no big deal. Saves a lot of money vs buying the mags specific to the X-5.

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Full custom STI 9mm for IDPA ESP and 3-gun

Modified S&W 625 PC for IDPA ESR

Also use a Glock 17 for IDPA SSP but it looks stock on the outside :eek:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
A lot will depend on what type of competition. Huge difference between setting up a race gun for USPSA open and IDPA CDP/ESP. For IDPA, biggest change is usually just a magwell/speed chute. Maybe better iron sights, extended thumb safety, etc. Not sure what you would do for a race gun in steel challenge, PPC, bullseye, etc. Here's a pic of a Kimber 1911 I used to use in IDPA.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts