1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Game Wardens(enforement division types) from Indiana out there?My youngest son(26yrs.old) is contemplating a career in same,he meets all the requirements,physical,college and etc; and has reservations about any polictical aspects(if they exist).He would not care to be envolved in anything politicaly.His attitude is that you should be paid for the job you do and not be worried about who you have to support politically and so on.Any remarks, experiences or suggestions out there?

Stumpy

·
Registered
780 Posts
Don't know about IN but I was very friendly with a couple of Game Wardens in TX. One in particular. He was fortunately assigned to an area in N. TX that was relatively "safe." He always told stories of the lone nature of the job and how dangerous it was. Something to pass along I guess.

GT

·
Registered
559 Posts
stumpy,
a guy i grew up with is a Conservation Officer (i assume thats the position you're referring to) in NW IN. I have not talked to him in some time but as our families are close, i have heard that he really enjoys his job.

good luck to your son if he applies as i've heard it is not an easy position to get!

·
Registered
569 Posts
My dad was a Game Warden here in Texas for 20 plus years and was in charge of their Acadamy in Austin. Here in Texas, although this may not help your question, the Game Warden is a fully authorized peace officer. If your son is an outdoorsman, he'll probably love it. But it can be dangerous. You almost always work alone, and in some counties, backup may be along way off. Commercial game poachers and the survivalist types you might run into can be just as ruthless as a city criminal. The acadamy can be tough for some, both physically and academically.

You do meet alot of good people though. As with any LE career, you meet alot more good people than bad.

When I chose LE as a career, I would have gone that route, but Texas Parks & Wildlife had neputism rules I couldn't get around.

Hope this might shed a little light.

If I understand your question right, does Indiana have the game warden set up like most Sheriff's Departments, where you are at the whim of the Sheriff?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indiana Game Wardens(Conservation Officers)..

In Indiana they are a Department of Natural Resources(a state agency), they are completely under state control.in my family of blood and in-laws there are 7 current,retired and deceased LEO's(from local to state level) My son considered reg.LEO but decided against it because of the fact of 99.9% of the time(his opinion)that you only deal with people under the worst of conditions.As far as enjoying the outdoors,he spends almost every free moment in the outdoors,enjoys it so much that he bought a Life Time hunting license(cost of about $800 or so then and now about $1200 or so)even though he only hunts 2 species,deer and duck/geese,in off seasons he spends most of his time in the wild just watching the diff. game animals,I think he would enjoy it immensely,getting paid for something he does most of the time anyway.

Stumpy

·
Banned
597 Posts
I had a friend that was a game warden here in Florida. He ultimately quit because he didn't like walking up on a group of guys with rifles while he was armed with nothing more than a Beretta 92fs. Something to consider.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would say that it would be a rewarding career if you like the outdoors. The Conservation Officers in Indiana are similar to arrest authority of the state police. They do operations and recently in southern Indiana caught a "flasher" in a state park.
They do often operate alone and know that the person they are dealing with is armed.
I have 100 acres in Orange Co and last year while there found two unknown person dressing out a doe. I am a LE but had no jurisdiction (Federal) They insisted they were on federal property. I left my life was not worth the price of a deer.
Tell your son to go for it. Check out and talk to your local officers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts