1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George Smith at EGW has got to the most personable, honest, fair priced, Quality GunSmith in America today.
Why I recommend his services:

1. He does the heavy lifting for many of our nations top smiths. Welding and Major repairs.

2. Does exactly what he says he is going to do and goes to extrodinary lenghts to document his conversations with customers to ensure expectations are met.

3.His communication skills are beyond improvement. Today was the day my gun was due to be done I was thinking about giving him a call begining of next week to ask about it. Next thing I know MY PHONE rings and its George Telling me how well the work went and suggesting something I forgot. He gave me shipping arrangements and made me feel like I was his only customer.

4. I don't even have my gun back yet and I am impressed as could be with this man.

5. Bussiness practices are very customer friendly. He will talk to you about the work you want done and take a small deposit to put your gun in a waiting line. He then lets you keep your gun until its your turn for work. You ship it in he gets to it very quickly and ships it back. ALL SMITHS SHOULD DO IT LIKE THIS!!

5. He walks the walk of his personal faith. For those that care about that sort of thing. Ethics is not forgotten at EGW.

6. He answers E-mail and is not a jerk on the phone even though like all good smiths he has more work than he can use.

Last but not least. HE THANKS YOU FOR YOUR TRUST AND WORK. He does not seem to believe he is doing you a favor by working on your gun. He respects his customer.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Good communication is a true gift. That's one gift that George utilizes very well.

I agree, very nice guy and talented smith.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Second that.

George has been around a long time in the business. I think the testament to a good gunsmith and a good businessman. His guns have proven themselves and are used by the best. Those that make a living using and carrying a gun.

He is quick to have a solution and fix, but doesn't pressure you to do the most expensive thing.

I couldn't recommend him enough. He knows his stuff on a lot of guns. He is open to new suggestions and ideas. If you need it welded, if you need it machined, if you need it fixed or you just want something cool. George and his guys can do it and would be my pick.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
First Thank You for your Kind Words.

Where My God Given Skills and or tallents are from and who I answer to are the Same. The Lord. I thank Him each and every day. (recomended)

And Thank you eerw for pointing out, It is Not me only! Jim Milks has been with me for 9 years. You will see him mentioned in several articles as it should be, He is the other Gunsmith. Mike Leatherman has gone part time and has had problems with some medical issues, he has been the voice on the phone for many years. Bob Schultz runs the cnc dept. Ronny Bennet is our short order machinest, mounts deburring and such.
Sharon Kuder acccounting (hi sis)

Most of all. Thank You All for the work.
we are indeed gratful.
geo ><> .

Ps Have a Great holiday!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
These kinds of posts bring tears to my eyes !
It is so refreshing to see a "job well done" once in a while in this cynical, sarcastic, over-worked world that we live in.

I have never dealt with George, but I like him already.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There isn't much that can be added. George is a true professional. He has worked on all my comp guns and the ones I bet my life on everyday. He has probably forgotten more than most gunsmiths will ever know about how to run a business and keep customers happy. I recently had a problem with the trigger in my limited gun not resetting. George fixed it while I waited. Turns out I had some Para mags that were out of spec. He took the time to makes sure that everything worked perfectly. He put a new "E" trigger in, now I have to have him change the one in my open. I really like the flat E trigger. The whole shop is great Jimmy does some really fine triggers on Paras. George is honest and compared to some of the other guys prices I've seen lately the best bargain out there. I don't carry a $6000.00 gun, but I would and do carry guns George worked on. You can bet your life on the quality of his work. The man and his shop are a true class act.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Hey Recon,

You are a lucky guy to have George so close by. I'd love that, but then I think he just might throw me out of the shop for his sanity.

[This message has been edited by eerw (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
984 Posts
I can't offer my personal experiences with EGW. However, I do own a BHP that they built and it is obvious they do excellent work. Judging from the way mine is fit and finished, I would not hesitate to send work their way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
eerw,
He hasn't thrown me out yet! He might shoot at you with the soft air pellet guns though! Seriously though it is great having one of the best in the business that close.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, I have no personal experience with them, but the EGW parts I've used have been first rate...and I'm enjoying George's posts here as well.

George - A good name is more valuable than gold or silver - so you must be a rich man!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll throw my $.02 in for George as well. When I was thinking of having a new Limited gun built, George invited me into his shop, gave me the grand tour and spent an hour and a half with me showing his work and capabilities. I was so impressed that I couldn't NOT have EGW build my gun. I've been nothing but pleased with the guns that EGW has built for me and the experience of having EGW build them.

George and his organization are always open, honest, and willing to spend the time needed to make the customer comfortable.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Here's my dilemma; I really want to learn how to build my own race gun, but after hearing all the good things about George and crew, talking to him, and seeing beautiful pictures on his web site, how can I not have him build it for me? decisions, decisions.

[This message has been edited by Spiked (edited 05-26-2001).]

·
Registered
175 Posts
KBEAR,
I wish he would build me a free gun. Actually I'm happy with the ones he already built for me. I see nothing wrong with letting others know that he does top notch work. I see some others places where Gunsmiths are given much more praise. Of course that guy has his own site. George is humble and fair priced. He has had numerous guns in mags and has built pistols for the top shooters out there. Doug just happens to be one of them. He hasn't raised his prices 2 grand because he was in a mag! I've seen guys complain he only builds raceguns. SO? I would rather take the gun I have put thousands of rounds through than one with 100 into a gunfight. I know it works everytime. The man is a class act and probably the best priced gunsmith out there. By the way ask a few of the "top pistolsmiths" who makes there parts and does the welding and machineing for them!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by Recon:
I've seen guys complain he only builds raceguns. SO? I would rather take the gun I have put thousands of rounds through than one with 100 into a gunfight. I know it works everytime.
Actually it's not true that he only builds raceguns. That's just his biggest market. It just doesn't follow that a guy who can make a gun that uses way-overpowered .38 Super ammo, has the slide lightend lots, and feeds out of a 28 round mag that was designed to hold 22 rounds wouldn't be capable of making a single stack feed ball ammo reliably.

We have two of his open guns that have performed flawlessly and are as reliable as ANY other gun I own.

The man is a class act and probably the best priced gunsmith out there. By the way ask a few of the "top pistolsmiths" who makes there parts and does the welding and machineing for them!
Shhhhh!! It already takes too long to get a gun build from him.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Originally posted by kbear38S:
Is this the place where you post compliments for EGW and in return George will build you a free racegun?
NO!
(creep)
your off the advetizing campaign. I do not think it will work. (ROFL)

Thank You all Very Much. I am fortunate to have met some of you and Thank you for the work.

To JSP Thank you, I am indeed. PTL!

Now Would someone please put up a post to promote some of the other guys please.
Pete doesn't take retail work but Yes he is a great guy! I can say this safely, I have not seen better checkering.

Ask Bob Hunter or Bob Brazzo, Ned Christianson, Tom Novac and Tim Backus, Allan Winer and the guys that lurk here. The ones I do not know too. Ask them if they work on guns that they did not build. I bet some do. I know a couple guys that can use some more work. Invite them to post what they offer. encourage them. This is indeed a great place. I have seen posts from Dave Williams, the guy runs the custom shop at Springfield, that is some clout. The guy from Baer (sorry I do not know him). The knowledgable gun writer Guy Niel.(I am sure there is more I have not met also) 3k members and who knows how many visitors. I have not seen the attacks of the past which is nice. Some of these guys will not put up a post about themselvs.(which is to be commended by the way) This is NOT a slight on those that have. Just would like to see some of the quiet spoken ones.
Some of them can even spell

geo ><>

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Actions Works is Don Williams. Hell of a nice guy!

Scott from SDM Fabricating is also a lurker. He's Mike Benedict's personal gunsmith

1 - 20 of 20 Posts