1911Forum banner

Gerber Tac II

4215 3
I just bought a used gerber Tac II at the local pawn shop for $25. It's in pretty good condition, a few scratches on the blade and has a kydex sheath that it locks into. I like the balance quite a bit. I don't know much about this knife. I had a MKII several years ago that I loaned to a freind and never got back. I've been lloking to replace it and this was the closest I have found for under $150. So how did I do? Is the balde steel anywhere near as good as the old MKIIs? Do the handles hold up well? Any info on this knife would be apreciated.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
If I'm thinking of the same knife, its a double edge, fairly wide, with a unique press-to-release bar, on one of the edge-sides of the handle, only about a 4" blade, right? $25 was not bad at all, considering they ran about $50-60, when they came out, IIRC.
My only complaint was that the tip was fairly fragile (I bent mine, when it dropped, point-first, into/onto a lineoleum floor.)

For a back-up, or moderate to light use field knife, I'd feel comfortable with it. I just prefer something harder and more resilient than 400 ss, anymore.

Edit: Or is the Tac II almost a modified Mk II? If so, I think they made a change in steel,......got pics?

· Registered
67 Posts
Gotch'a. I wish I could remember the name of the model I was thinking of..... Anyhow, Gerber got away from the tool steels, with their 80's and beyond production (mostly "400 series" ss), so I wouldn't call it a hard-use knife, but, again, definitely serviceable. Good find! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.