1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first/new cbob owner (purchased 10/09) and am just amazed by the fit and function of this pistol. The only problem I have is that I am not just a fan of stainless finish on a carry pistol (which is what this one will be when it has been broken in some more). I would like to get the pistol blued - EGW is about a 45 min drive from my house and I have heard good things about their E-Treat. Will it be a mistake to get my cbob blued? Anyone else have this done?

Thanks,

Pros

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Welcome to the DW Forum, one Mod. is a Master PistolSmith (Dave),
and one member is a Custom Pistol Grip Maker (Sarge43).
We will give you info, and our opinions, and yes, we joke around sometimes amongst ourselves.
We would like to see pics of your CBOB.
As for the Blueing the CBOB, IMO I would just leave the way it is for awhile then if you don't like the finish then have it changed...........

Clyde

·
Banned
290 Posts
I am a first/new cbob owner (purchased 10/09) and am just amazed by the fit and function of this pistol. The only problem I have is that I am not just a fan of stainless finish on a carry pistol (which is what this one will be when it has been broken in some more). I would like to get the pistol blued - EGW is about a 45 min drive from my house and I have heard good things about their E-Treat. Will it be a mistake to get my cbob blued? Anyone else have this done?

Thanks,

Pros

I have not done it YET, but I will soon!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Technically, ETreat is not bluing.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I had my CBOB refinished because I am also not a fan of the stainless look, as are a few of us here, search Hardhat in this forum and you'll find plenty of pictures and information.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Yeah I know - old terms die hard in my vocabulary. Thanks for the replys - will get a pic of my cbob soon.
You probably know this, but you can't technically "blue" a stainless gun. Plenty of us have had black finishes put on though. At least one member had E-Treat on theirs, and several of us have Severns Hard Hat.

·
Banned
290 Posts
You probably know this, but you can't technically "blue" a stainless gun. Plenty of us have had black finishes put on though. At least one member had E-Treat on theirs, and several of us have Severns Hard Hat.
For what I have seen there are two kinds of salts avaliable to hot blue stainless steel. The process is much tougher than on carbon steel, but it can be done. See the link below:

http://gunblue.homestead.com/Stainless.html

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Yeah I know - old terms die hard in my vocabulary. Thanks for the replys - will get a pic of my cbob soon.
:)

If I were to "destainless-finish" my DW, I'd talk to Dave Severns about his Hard-Hat treatment. I'm sure others are good, but Dave would be my first choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts