1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and get yourself a Glock."

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've ever heard, or even more so read on gun boards, this little ditty from Tommy Lee Jones in US Marshals.

I actually watched this flick again a couple nights ago and when that scene came up I noticed that even though its obviously TL Jones' voice saying those words, there is a definite change in the sound, such that I believe it is a dubbed in bit of paid for product placement, and nothing more. In fact you dont see TL Jones' mouth to even be able to tell if the "Glock" part was in the final draft. Perhaps it was an open to all comers line ... put out the word to all manufacturers that highest bidder gets their gun recommended over all the other "nickel plated sissy pistols" in the world.

has anyone else ever noticed this glitch in the sound?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Never saw the movie, but that sure doesn't look like a glock in his hand.

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
You often see things like that in Hollyweird. TLJ never carried a STS Commander like seen in the poster. Robert Downey Jr.'s "sissy" pistol was a Taurus PT-908.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out Tommy's finger on the trigger, perfectly aimed to take out the big toe.

Watched Money Train with Woody H. and Wesley Snipes on cable a couple nights ago ... saw Glocks getting cocked, guns drawn and aimed in jest, etc etc. My favorite bit of stupidity was that not only did Wesley Snipes cock the non-existent hammer on his Glock while his brother (Woody H.) was being suspended from the roof of a skyscraper by loan sharks, he also then neglected to decock an uncockable pistol when he shoved it back in his pocket.

A

·
0 Posts
Who give a rats butt about Jones.
Don't you guys know he one on the people in this country who don't beleive you have the right to own guns?

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry! I didn't mean to be rude. But, it is true!

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by AC's & 45's:
Sorry! I didn't mean to be rude. But, it is true!

No offence taken here! I would guess he would have to be "One of those" to get a job in Hollywierd.

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

·
Registered
688 Posts
As if Jones knows jack about firearms.

Hey, Jones, "Get rid of that sissy acting job and earn a little respectability; try sucking d#@%&."

Eddie

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
Originally posted by BrianMc:
Watched Money Train with Woody H. and Wesley Snipes on cable a couple nights ago ... saw Glocks getting cocked, guns drawn and aimed in jest, etc etc. My favorite bit of stupidity was that not only did Wesley Snipes cock the non-existent hammer on his Glock while his brother (Woody H.) was being suspended from the roof of a skyscraper by loan sharks, he also then neglected to decock an uncockable pistol when he shoved it back in his pocket.
You'd think that the actor would point that out to the dingbat director, but no. They're simply getting paid to do a job. Even more inexcusable was Steven Segal, a noted gun enthusiast, handing a Glock 9mm to another character in "Under Seige 2" and telling him it was a .45 (there were no .45 Glocks at the time).

But I digress. We could go on and on with the stories of firearms faux pas in the movies.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
The G30 did come out a short time later, but not at the time of the movie. I remember hearing Segal say it while in the theater and thinking "ah, come on!".

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
You'd think that the actor would point that out to the dingbat director, but no. They're simply getting paid to do a job. Even more inexcusable was Steven Segal, a noted gun enthusiast, handing a Glock 9mm to another character in "Under Seige 2" and telling him it was a .45 (there were no .45 Glocks at the time).

But I digress. We could go on and on with the stories of firearms faux pas in the movies.
DSK

If you are refering to the movie where it takes place on the train and he hands the Glock to the porter, who had the hots for his daughter, I have another faux pas I spotted.

When he hands the pistol to the porter, the porter then starts talking to himself about how to use the gun. He makes a statement IIRC about taking off the safety. He then looks at the side of the gun and you hear a click.

It must have been the prototype Glock 45 with manual safety

Ross T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw a Miami Vice re-run ...OK give me a break, it was late and I was flipping through the channels.
... anyway, the bad guy had Tubs with a 1911 to his neck and threatening him face to face... funny thing was that it was in condition three!

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
Originally posted by ROSANGHAL:
DSK
When he hands the pistol to the porter, the porter then starts talking to himself about how to use the gun. He makes a statement IIRC about taking off the safety. He then looks at the side of the gun and you hear a click.

I think I remember that part now as well.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you're like me you'll spend at least an hour reading through these. Some are really funny, and others are just plain sad.

Movie Gun Mishaps http://www.recguns.com/MovieGuns.html

I'm going to repost this as a new thread topic because I suspect it might go on for a while.

[This message has been edited by Shinglekill (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
(there were no .45 Glocks at the time).
But the Glock 21 (according to Gun Digest) was introduced in 1991.

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
From Shinglekill's link:

The Safety that Never Was
by Gabriel Gregson ([email protected])
In Under Seige 2, when Steven Seagal gives his sidekick a Glock, he refers to it as the .45 although it appears to be too small to be a Model 21 it looks more like a model 17 or a 22 (9mm and .40 calibre, respectively.) Steven then goes on to explain how to remove the manual safety on the manual safetyless Glock. Later on in the movie the sidekick character `removes' the safety on the Glock before shooting it. While Glock did produce a prototype with a manual safety for the Argentinian government, they were never produced en masse as the government went with the safe action Glock in the end.

------------------
D. Kamm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts