1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You could over think this one to death, but lets say, things go heck, while you are on a road trip, vacation etc. This is a problem that poses problems beyond just getting caught at home or work.

I mean, you can't take enough stuff to get you back, or at least not enough stuff in your vehicle to make me feel all that prepared. So, what's your payload that you feel comfortable with on a vacation of a week or two? Guns, do you carry some kind of long gun, in addition to your normal CCW Handguns? How much ammo? Cash? or even a little silver? Credit cards might not be working, to get you back home. Of course your vehicle might not even be drive able.

Backpack? This could go on and on, what's the minimum for you, without going nuts on prepping?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Water, shelter and food! You make do with what you have on hand. You adapt to what situation has been given you.

Anything else is personal preference and considered luxury items.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
When you say things 'go to heck', how do you mean? Are we talking about a localized event, either natural or man made, or a complete societal collapse, the zombie apocalypse?

Realistically, most events are fairly localized, and easy to avoid- and short term in duration. Other than earthquakes, there's usually some indication that an event is brewing...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Interesting question. We travel during the summer with grandkids. For a couple of nights close to home, I carry pretty much what I do during my weekly commute to the paycheck job. I can get into that another time.
But gone for longer or further away we take the rv, a fifth wheel. It carries 30 gallons of potable water, plus we have a couple cases bottled inside. I still bring my hand pump purifier with me.
We keep lots of canned goods in the camper, usually enough for at least a week if not two, being used conservatively.
A month supply of prescriptions, plus all my otc meds and major size first aid kit I carry. Little kids get lots of booboos, ya know? I have a M3 medic bag bulging at the seams for them. :)
I always carry bushcraft stuff in a bag with my water purifier, so we can cook if I run out of propane.
I don't let the truck get below a half tank of diesel.
When it runs, it helps charge the coach battery, so we have light and refrigerator for roughly 3 days without charging.
Knowing that whether mobile or stationary I'm a target, we have to handguns with spare mags, and one spare box of ammunition.
We carry two rifles. Each have 3 mags plus an extra box in the case. This because I may be forced to leave the wife with the camper for some reason.
Unless I am at home when the economic zombie emp driven apocalypse explodes, I figure it's a crap shoot anyway. I can be reasonably prepared and do the best I can. I figure most uh oh moments would be from electrical failures or localized issues. A week or two should see me through.
I realize not everyone has the same resources, but maybe this will give you ideas you can pull from.
If you want a more detailed list of what I carry on my weekly commute through the mountains (180 miles each way) pm me and I'll give you a breakdown of what I carry and how it changes with the different seasons.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oops...forgot to mention cash.
We carry about 1k in cash, and I usually have a few ounces silver in the form of eagles with me. This in reserve to the normal cash we have allotted to the trip.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Where possible I travel by car (truck actually...4x4 too). In that instance I will always have at least one primary pistol (usually a Glock 19) with 2 spare mags and an extra box of 50 rounds. To that add an AR15 pistol with the SIG brace and Aimpoint red dot (it looks amazingly similar to an SBR, but of course I would NEVER fire it from my shoulder even though it is perfectly set up to do so). For the AR I have one 30rd mag in the gun and another six 30rd mags in a pouch. The AR is on a single-point sling. Add that to the bottles of water I carry, energy bars, knife, multi-tool, flashlights (with spare batteries), firestarter, compass, filter straw, and a few other doodads that weigh next to nothing and I'm at least better off than 90% of the other travelers. EVERYTHING fits in a rather compact assault pack (the AR is broken down into upper and lower), so I don't create alarm when I carry it into my hotel or other places.

For air travel it is more challenging, but I will always at least have a pistol and other accessories in my check-on baggage. Of course, when I travel out of the country or to communist states within the US, I just have to pray real hard that nothing bad happens before I get home.

·
Registered
23,559 Posts
I have a backpack loaded with gear.

I am set up to walk for +/- three days with food water and rudimentary shelter. Of course, if I start to get into freezing weather. Then that changes the equation.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just got back from vacation where we put almost 2700 miles on the car in less than a week. We had my wife's 357, my SCUHD with 2 spare mags, my XDs with 2 spare mags, my XD with 2 spare mags, my AR with 4 mags, plus my range bag with several hundred rounds for each. We planned on doing some shooting while we were out so I had a little more than I would normally carry, but we always have our EDCs and the AR when traveling. We also always carry extra cash as well as food and water. I haven't normally carried any silver or gold, but that is a good idea.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was not thinking of local problems but more like wide spread issues with something like an EMP disaster or sudden monetary or banking failure. Something that would make travel difficult to impossible. Communications could or would possibly fail in the mix.

As far as myself, when traveling by vehicle, I always carry my EDC gun, and also another full size high capacity handgun, at the minimum. I Don't usually carry a long gun, or AR type but I am considering it. Good boots always, for walking, and water and usually some tools, especially in the old days when the possibility of a breakdown was more common, and also the ability to fix it beside the road, and before cell phones.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I keep a CZ p-07 and several mags in a safe in the back. As for food, plenty of gummie bears and goldfish crumbs between the seats. Should be set.

·
Registered
522 Posts
OK, going on what you just posted, there's not a whole lot more you can do than you're already doing. If you are away from your base or your cache by several hundred miles, you are in a foraging situation anyhow. So add a long gun, and get ready for a long walk. You may really want to look hard at a bug out setup you can travel with.

·
Banned
117 Posts
You could over think this one to death, but lets say, things go heck, while you are on a road trip, vacation etc. This is a problem that poses problems beyond just getting caught at home or work.

I mean, you can't take enough stuff to get you back, or at least not enough stuff in your vehicle to make me feel all that prepared. So, what's your payload that you feel comfortable with on a vacation of a week or two? Guns, do you carry some kind of long gun, in addition to your normal CCW Handguns? How much ammo? Cash? or even a little silver? Credit cards might not be working, to get you back home. Of course your vehicle might not even be drive able.

Backpack? This could go on and on, what's the minimum for you, without going nuts on prepping?
So 1000miles from home during a 1-2 weeks vacation. Frankly I don't see much of a problem, at least one that any prepper shouldn't be ready for rather easy.

"not enough stuff in your vehicle" Why not, your prepared for a 1-2 week vacation in your vehicle but don't have enough for the maybe 4 days to get home? The only thing likely to be short on is fuel, ok have a plan for that. IMO any serious prepper should have a vehicle that can go 1000 miles on the fuel on hand.

Guns don't take up that much space in a vehicle, really the biggest issue is various laws.

Backpack, again your on a vehicle vacation and have prepping in mind but a good backpack isn't a given?

That said by far plan A-X should be to stay with your vehicle and keep it going. Vehicles carry a lot and are rolling shelter, any thoughts of leaving your vehicle need to be plan Y and Z with Y being grabbing another vehicle.

Being prepared is having a proper vehicle that will carry enough and will survive along with the tools, supplies, and skills to keep it going. Yeah a family of 4 in a little Kia no way to be prepared with that vehicle. Step one is choosing the right vehicle, once that is done the rest is just getting it done.

Edit/More

I don't see the point of getting into my payload specifics, I'm me, your you, our needs differ. That said in general I'd suggest a rifle, how much ammo, a lot, ammo doesn't take up that much space in a vehicle. Cash yes, silver no, were talking right after, cash will still be accepted, worst case barter with ammo.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I want to see this vehicle that meets my needs that can get a thousand miles range.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I want to see this vehicle that meets my needs that can get a thousand miles range.
Well what meets your needs?

Even at 10 MPG 1000mi is 100 gallons, 100 gallons is not that hard.

Many pickups have two tanks with aftermarket tanks available in the 40 gallon area, that's 80 gallons right there. Add four 5 gallon cans, boom 100 gallons. There's many ways to accomplish a 1000mi range.

Edit, FWIW I often have a 142 gallon capacity in just "regular" tanks when I travel. I roll a F350 and often a F350 back half based trailer. Each have two tanks, a 38 and 33. Looking into changing those 33 gallon bronco tanks to 44 gallon excursion tanks. My work truck on the other hand will go 2000mi on full tanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ah. Modified truck.
I used to carry a bed tank I could fill equipment or my tank with years ago.
May do that again....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Uh, yeah. Sorry too have sounded so Stupid to you.
I'm rarely a thousand miles away from the farm at any time, so I don't concentrate much on "BOV" tactics.

·
Administrator
13,281 Posts
Cell phone , AAA card , cash , nourishment and a handgun .

·
Banned
117 Posts
Uh, yeah. Sorry too have sounded so Stupid to you.
I'm rarely a thousand miles away from the farm at any time, so I don't concentrate much on "BOV" tactics.
FWIW IMO a BOV type vehicle is basic disaster preparedness even if you live in a bunker. There are many scenarios where travel will be a must. The need may not actually be bugging out but the ability to travel and haul people and supplies safely and reliably is a big plus in many SHTF scenarios.

·
Registered
522 Posts
FWIW IMO a BOV type vehicle is basic disaster preparedness even if you live in a bunker. There are many scenarios where travel will be a must. The need may not actually be bugging out but the ability to travel and haul people and supplies safely and reliably is a big plus in many SHTF scenarios.
And that's a fine opinion. With a much nicer delivery.
And I mentioned that I had in the past carried truck tank's for refueling equipment, and the idea of doing so again carried merit.
However, the range on any of my vehicles as they sit would, in my opinion, cover most all foreseeable ranges I may have to contend with without any modifications.
I was curious as to what type of vehicle you were originally referring to that had a thousand miles range.
But once again, I like the idea of throwing an extra hundred gallons in the truck when making long forays from home.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.