1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About November 10th I mailed in my first application and supporting documents to order an M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. (www.odcmp.org)

Okay, the website says 60-90 days, and I know we've had Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hannukah, New Years, and Kwanzaa in that period. Still, I'm going nuts wondering when the rifle will really show up. What's really bugging me is not knowing if they even got my application. I'm paying with a credit card, so they don't charge the card until the day they ship.

I would hate to call them and bug them about my order, but is there any way to find out if my order is at least pending, and an approximate ship time? Many of the customer comments mention how happy they are because the rifle showed up earlier than expected. It also seems clear from the website that they are sick of people calling to find out about their orders.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
That sounded like a long delay from what I have been hearing the last couple of yrs, but...
I went to the CMP's forum and found a thread on this where people had orders accepted as far back as late Sept/early Oct and are still waiting.

They were running faster on this, but I know they got swamped with Carbine orders last fall, so that may explain it.

If you still don't hear anything after a while, you may want to post on the CMP Forum. Orest Michaels, who runs the show at CMP sales, monitors the forum. Asking how long others have been waiting may be way to bring it up without actually bugging them directly.
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/default.asp

·
Registered
569 Posts
My first one took almost a year, but that was 23 years ago. My dad's took only about 6 months, but that was 20 years ago. More recently, I've seen dates and time frames all over the board. There is, IMO, no hard and fast rule.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I didn't even see that forum. After reading Orest's sticky about how orders are handled, I see that they send out an email on the day they open your order.

I have no such email. Now I'm really wondering if they ever got the order, or if they just typed my complicated email address incorrectly.

If nothing happens by mid-February, I'm putting the money into a .308 battle rifle.

·
Registered
673 Posts
patience my friend. ive placed 3 orders in the past. and once i mail it i start getting antsy also.its always a long hard wait even if its just a month.then once they post your rifle on their web. thats when you start looking at your account on the internet a few times a day.

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
It really depends on what you order, my last order was for an H&R service grade Garand, They received my order on Dec. 12th and received my rifle on Jan. 6th, but the H&R's are moving faster than the Springfields.
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40985&whichpage=1
I read one post where a guy is still waiting for his Springfield 70 days later. My Springfield that I received in August shipped in about a month also.

There are too many variables involved to give a short answer, since you haven't heard from them I would send an email:
E-mail: [email protected]
They are very prompt on answering them, and they do answer the phone without an attitude. A lot of the guys on the cmp forum will tell you never to call in part because they think it will slow down their order...
Both of these are service grades with nearly all "correct" parts, the Springfield has a Winchester safety, and the trigger group on the H&R is Springfield. beautiful bores with great crowns, the pics don't really do the guns justice. Virtually no wear on any of the parts, I am a very fortunate individual...

Here is my cleaned up H&R 5.5 mil. service grade:

And while I am at it, my Springfield 5.8 that I received in August:

My muzzle pics really stink, so I didn't include them...both have awesome crowns/rifling.

CMP= Choice Military Products

BTW:
Click on E-store
http://estore.odcmp.com/Store/catalog/catalog.aspx

Then log in, and click on "pending orders" will tell if you have something in processing, but failed to get an email.
I remember Orest saying something about certain email services get bounced back to the cmp as "undeliverable".

Folks, the last CMP Sales update had over 400 automated reuests for verification - most from Earthlink, requesting we perform a verification process beofre the email can be delivered.

We currently send updates from either from [email protected], or from [email protected]. This is an automated process and the system cannot respond to the verification requests. We apologize for the inconvenience, but subscribers with spam blockers or verifiers will not receive our sales update emails unless they take the action to allow emails from these addresses. The emails we receive are as follows and are mostly from earthlink customers, but there are others also.

"I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful rifles.

Thanks for your help and for that link. I tried to create an account, but when it said "Email address already assigned" I knew then they had my order. From there, I was able to get a new password and check my order status.

Dang! Found out they didn't post the order until 12/01. At least another month of waiting for me, based on what the forum members are saying.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Does it depend on what you ordered? I bet most people order the Springfield Armory models since that is what is listed in the catalog. I wonder if HRAs ship faster because there is less demand for them?

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
Does it depend on what you ordered? I bet most people order the Springfield Armory models since that is what is listed in the catalog. I wonder if HRAs ship faster because there is less demand for them?
Yes it does depend...
The HRA's have indeed been shipping faster as of late, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there is less demand. The CMP has a limited staff and they process all the different grades of each brand. right now they are short of wood for the Springfields so many of the rifles have to be outfitted with the new wood.

As I said earlier, there are too many variables to provide a short answer, read this thread "Omichaels" is Orest, he describes how the paperwork part progresses:
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42725

The best way to get a feel for how your order is progressing is to read the threads on the progress of other orders, {date received, date it went to processing,etc..} and you will have an idea when the Fedex truck will be rolling up. If you are anticipating buying one of the future release's, be sure to check the sales announcements every few days, as sometimes they move the sale date forward, the last batch of carbines sold very fast.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thanks. I have my first Garand on order with the CMP as we speak. They sent me my confirmation email yesterday. I originally asked for a Springfield service grade. After reading the CMP forum I noticed that those waiting for HRAs seemed to be getting their rifles delivered faster, so I called and changed my order to a HRA. The HRAs seem to be in better condition too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CMP wait

I put myself through the CMP process twice.The wait can be agonizing, I ordered my Inland carbine in May and recieved it in July and ordered my service grade Garand in August and recieved it in November.After checking the CMP e-store about a bazillion times to check status, I was ready to give up I was drained and beat and then the white truck showed up, the Fed Ex driver brushed off my hugs and kisses, I was then able to resume a normal life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Order Time Depend upon What You Want

My Springfield M-1 came very shortly but the Winchester M-1 took over eighteen months while the H&R M-1 took about a year. Also the condition you ordered will affect the time too. If you ordered service grade or the collector grade will have a large affect on the time too.

BigBoy99

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
:rock: I just visited the CMP E-Store and was ecstatic upon discovering that my HRA service grade is shipping today. I placed my order on January 2, so it took the CMP 43 days to fill my order. Pretty fast considering that you should expect to wait 60-90 days.

·
Registered
24,163 Posts
30:06 Ammo

A while back I saw some where that the C.M.P. had a good deal on 30:06 surplus ammunition. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Thanks in advance if you have any information on this.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is their current offering, from http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm

GREEK .30-06

NLU 407-CASE - Greek .30-06 ammunition HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture, Boxer primed. Non-corrosive. Headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. Bullet attracts magnet. 768 rounds per case. Packaged in 8 round clips in bandoleers. 192 rounds per spam can, 4 spam cans per wooden case. Weight of case 73 lbs. Price is $200.00 per case. S&H per case $38.00. S&H to Alaska or Hawaii $79.95 per case.

NLU 407-CAN - Greek .30-06 ammunition. HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Bullet attracts magnet. Boxer primed. Packaged in 8 round clips in bandoleers. 192 rounds per spam can. Price per individual can $50.00. S&H is $8.95 per case. S&H to Alaska or Hawaii is $19.95 per can.

NLU 415 - Greek .30-06 ammunition. HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Bullet attracts magnet. Boxer primed. 480 rounds per case. Packaged in 20 round cartons, 12 cartons per spam can, 2 spam cans per wooden case. Weight of case 41 lbs. Price is $110.00 per case. S&H $17 per case. S&H to Alaska or Hawaii is $45.95 per case.

NLU 415-CN - M2 Ball, .30-06 Caliber manufactured by Pyrkal (Greece). Packaged 20 rounds per box, 12 boxes per spam can - 240 rounds. Boxer primed, non-corrosive. The headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. Price is $55.00 per can plus $8.95 S&H. S&H to Alaska and Hawaii is $19.95 per can.
THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live close enough to go to the Camp Perry store and actually pick ou a couple of rifles. Does anyone know if I can take them with me? Or do they have to ship them?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live close enough to go to the Camp Perry store and actually pick ou a couple of rifles. Does anyone know if I can take them with me? Or do they have to ship them?
You should have them shipped. You will probably crash your car while looking at them on the way home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts