1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep budget under 500.

I want a 38 super to use as a vehicle gun to travel with. I dont like traveling with my R1s due to its value, and the gun gets locked up in the vehicle while I am at work. I would rather have something a little cheaper in the event that it gets stolen. Its Highly unlikely that someone would steal it where its parked, but you never know.

In any case I am leaning towards the .38 super from RIA. Is there any other brand that I should look for? I would rather have a novak sight setup instead of the standard GI setup for a wider selection of sights. Of course, the GI offers some aftermarket options also so I have to keep that in mind.

Anybody got any ideas on another brand, or any opinions about the RIA?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Only one suggestion: please don't leave any firearm unattended. It could wind up being used against someone or even you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Lots of reasons not to use a .38 Super for that duty. Expensive ammunition unless you hand load. Factory ammunition rare unless there's a gun shop handy with a decent inventory. The .38 Super by itself is no cheaper than any other 1911, and more expensive in a number of cases due to its relative rarity. I do not recommend a .38 Super to shooters that are not hand loaders.

That being said, my normal carry handgun is a .38 Super. I'm a hand loader however, and I get the most out of that caliber. It's very nice to shoot and packs a pretty good wallop.

If I were looking for something to handle your precise need, it would be a poly pistol of some type, or it would be something wholly different like a stainless J frame S&W or something, with a load of +P. Not a whole lot different than today's factory .38 Supers. Either of those choices are simpler and require less maintenance than any 1911.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Handloading is one of the reasons I want to go with the 38 super. And these days, around here, finding .45ACP is still hard. Unless you want to shoot steel case for the same cost as buying online.

I have to drive a long distance, and am forced to leave the truck for two weeks at a time in the heliport parking lot. So its either take that risk, or drive through several questionable towns un-armed. Im taking the risk.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I have a Rock Island Government Model .38 Super, and a Kimber 4" and a Kimber 3" in the same caliber. The Rock Island is an excellent pistol. The sides of the slide are very flat and the side rails of the frame are very even, indicating good manufacturing practices. Also my gunsmith tells me their internal parts are well machined and properly hardened. I have put a couple thousand rounds through mine with small problem, though I had to relieve the slide lock a bit so it would not lock up prematurely with lead bullets. It did just fine with jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have 2 RIA .38 Supers, one nickel and the other blued. I replaced the sights. They work 100% so far. I've owned them 2-3 years but haven't shot them much. they load like a 9mm Luger but hit harder. If you want to load them over the top, buy something with a ramped barrel like an EAA. I load mine with 124 gr. bullets and a max charge of LilGun as I remember, at 1300+ fps. If you need more, then get a 10mm.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
You know, 6 years ago I contemplated the same thing...a cheap 38 Super for my truck gun. So, I took a chance on the RIA 38 S, and after a couple of years of flawless performance, I decided I really didn`t want to risk losing this darned thing, so it`s service as my truck gun came to an end and it was replaced with an even cheaper Hi Point C9 (9mm).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts