1911Forum banner

Should I Have Kimber Adjustible Night Sights Installed on my Gold Match II?

• Yes! They'll do a Great Job, and You'll Be Happy!

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No! They're Ham-Fisted Boobs! You'll Never Hit the X-Ring Again With Those Abominations!

Votes: 5 55.6%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED WITH OUTCOME: Getting Night Sights for a GMII

I've had a Gold Match II for a while, and I absolutely love it. I've been practicing regularly for months and I'm now shooting it at a level I never thought possible.

However, I just did a night-shooting workshop with it, and since it's a bedroom/all-hell-breaks-loose pistol, I really think it needs night sights.

I suppose I should have gotten the Gold Combat II, but I'd rather stick with my broken-in, marvelous pistol than get a new one.

So, I want to get night sights installed. The custom shop says that the slide is dovetailed so that only adjustable sights can go on it. This leaves me with their adjustable night sight set with a front dot and a rear bar. Does anyone have this sight set? Is it any good?

I realize the question is somewhat subjective, but I'd still love to know your thoughts.

Also, what advice do you have for shipping the slide? I know to wrap it in a rag instead of a plastic bag, but how do I bring it to a parcel store in LA without freaking them out completely, even though it's less than half of a gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Think out side the Kimber box.

At the top of the every forum page is a link to Heinie Specialty Products Inc. Heinie makes fixed night sites for Kimbers with adj sites. Look real good and I keep thinking about getting some for my Kimber Custom Target. MMC, Novak, and Bar-Sto are other sight makers you might want to take a look at.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Are you talking about the Meprolight Night Sights? If so, a lot of other online retailers have them for like $30 less than what Kimber wants. Check out MidwayUSA and Dallas Tactical.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The order manifest only says that they're Kimber sights. Does that mean they're re-branded Mepros?

There's a local store that does some smithing, but I can never get them on the phone. I suppose I'll have to keep trying until I have a better sense of my other option(s).\

UPDATE:

The Kimber shop manifest and the Meprolight page both list the night sights as ML21210, so they are the same sights. Of course, if I buy them somewhere else, does Kimber give me grief about installing them?

UPDATE 2: Found the same sights online for $110, while Kimber wants $169 for them. Yeouch! Of course, if I get a raw deal on a local installation, then it's all for nought.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Most of the gunsmiths in my area I called about intallation prices all quoted me about the same, $40.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I decided to buck the poll advice and have the custom shop do it, because the installation prices I found around town largely negated the price difference. That, plus the added confidence of having the Kimber experts do it, made up my mind.

Well, they did a great job.

Turnaround was fast, the sights only needed the teeniest adjustment, there are no tool marks or scratches to speak of, and the sight picture is great.

During the day, they're every bit as precise as my old all-black sights, with a nice crisp outline. And, when I unloaded and held the weapon in my darkened home office, the night sights were quick to align, and glowed at a very comfortable level. I'm finding that aligning vertical sights is easier for me than lining up three horizontal dots (like on my XD).

Ah well, so I spent a little too much. As they say, you pay for expensive once. You pay for cheap your whole life. (As I discovered with my iPod mount in my car. But that's a story for another forum)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.